Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trying to find the right feed and/or supplement

Hi Mary,

Let me first congratulate you on rescuing this horse. Your vet is right -- cereal grains should never be fed to a horse with ulcers since they increase acid production. Triple Crown Low Starch is fine, but it is not as high in fat as Purina Ultium, so I would give that a try. Be sure to limit each meal size to no more than 4 lbs to prevent colic. So you may need to feed 3 meals each day.

But in addition to Ultium, consider adding extra B vitamins. I believe you will notice a difference in his energy level. B Plex -- two scoops per day -- will boost his B vitamins and add beneficial omega 3 fatty acids (from flax) at the same time.

Also give him all the hay he wants, plus approximately 20% of his hay ration from alfalfa. This will give him enough high quality protein to allow him to use the carbs and fat in his diet for energy. It will also keep his digestive system healthy and help cure an ulcer, if he is still prone toward them.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Mary
I have an arabian gelding approximately 10 years old who was a starvation rescue. Our barn provides oats to all horses as part of their board. My horse had put weight on and was looking better but still looked like he needed more weight put on. His oats were increased from 1/2 a can, twice a day to 1 can, twice a day. Within a couple of months, he began having issues colicing. The vet suggested taking him off oats as she thought he could have ulcers and the oats were upsetting his stomach (this was her conclusion after all his symptoms and mannerisms were taken into consideration). At that point, I took him off oats and began feeing him Triple Crown Low Starch. The vet recommended a pelleted feed that was high in proteins and fats yet lower carbs to be easier on the stomach. That feed has been great in addressing the colic issue as he has not had an episode since, he eats his feed as soon as its put in his feed bucket, however he has become less and less energetic.

I enjoy trail riding daily and his lack of energy has really put a damper on our rides. I was looking for something to switch him onto feed-wise so that he would have more energy yet still something that would be gentler on his stomach so we do not end up revisiting the colic episodes. Do you have any suggestions?

I was looking at either Purina Mills Ultium competition Horse Formula or Legends Performance Tech as he is moderately worked. I am hoping to work him towards doing some endurance trail rides and he does take part in gaming horse shows throughout the summer.

He is normally a real spunky energetic arabian with lots of attitude and get-up-and-go, but now he always seems tired/lethargic.

Thanks.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO