Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Young TB That Doesnt put weight on

Hello Blair,

Sounds like you're doing all the right things: hay, free choice, high calorie feed, ulcer treatments, etc. If he's still having trouble gaining weight, I have a few suggestions.

First, he may still be prone toward ulcers. Some horses don't show any outward symptoms. So, continue offering hay free choice, but add alfalfa to the mix. Alfalfa has buffering capacity to heal the mucosal lining of the stomach. The higher quality protein also will give him the building blocks to build new tissue.

And that brings me to the second suggestion. I want to give him more quality protein since it seems as though he's using the protein currently in his diet for energy (calories). Fat and carbs should be reserved for that and protein should be reserved for building body tissue. So, if he's not gaining weight, it may indicate that he needs a very high quality protein in his diet. This is best supplied by soybean meal. Start with 1 lb per day, divided between meals and let's see how he does. We may want to increase it.

If he's not getting flaxseed meal, that's an important addition. Give him Nutra Flax -- 3 scoops per day, to not only provide additional fat, but more importantly, add omega 3 fatty acids to boost overall health.

And finally, make sure he is getting enough vitamin E. He should have at least 1 IU per pound of body weight, more if he's exercising.

I believe you already mentioned that you've tried Ration Plus. But if not, this will ensure that his hind gut bacteria are healthy so he can derive calories from his forage.

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Blair Hackel
I have talked with a bunch of people to try and get some advice on how to feed a 4 yr old TB that is a hard keeper. When I got him last august, he had been at the track for some training. He never raced luckily. I started slow introducing him to feed and a good diet. I had to try numerous things to try and get him to eat and want to eat. Finally in about January I got to where he would ask for grain and would consume unlimited amounts of hay. I am still have a trouble getting weight on him though. I have treated him for ulcers, wormed regularly, turnout on great grass for most of the day, and worked the most 30 minutes 5 days a week. Usually not all in a row. I guess I am here posting because I didnt know if someone knew a grain that has a higher calorie intake than Omolene 400 or if there was a product such as beat pulp, dengi, or hay cubes that could help him. I just am stumbled why I cant get the ribs and his back bone sticking out to disappear.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO