Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fescue and Founder

In Dec I adopted a 10 year old Tenn Walker mare,Honey, who had been foundered several years in a row, (On grass), the last time March of 08. She is a wonderful horse. Since Dec 1, we've hit the trail 73 times! -- But on June 20, she had a setback. She was perfectly sound and her feet looked great, like nothing ever happened. She had been in kegs on the front since I had her. My farrier (Who was the fellow who rescued her) and I thought we could start her barefoot. She went dead lame in half a day! We put her shoes back on in the morning, but it took her a few days to get right again. And some Bute and Banimine.

ALSO, I had purchased 100 bales of fresh hay June 1, and had spent a week making the transistion. In my area the most avaiable hay is fescue. And that is what I bought, she had been on weedy orchard grass hay.

I am a barefoot kind of fellow and like to follow Jamie Jackson's guidence. During her recovery I bought his book on Founder, and he warns of Fescue hay and founder. (Although I'm sure this bout was the shoe thing)- I've already made the switch to Orchard grass hay, traded all my hay.

Honey has a nice run in, about an acre, about half wooded, no grass. I feed Purina Well Solve, Low Starch, 4 pounds a day,- in four different meals. Her hay I feed at five different times, 22 ponds a day, at four different locations along her paths in her lot.

She is fully sound again, we rode today again, the first time in 32 days.

My question, do you agree with Jamie, that Fescue hay can be a problem with founder?

Thank you - Dutch Henry

Where are you from? Appomattox VA

How did you locate this forum? Google Search

Re: Fescue and Founder

Hello Dutch,

Sounds like you've done a fine job of feeding Honey correctly to protect her against another laminitis attack. Purina Wellsolve is a good choice -- low in starch and sugar and also contains a fair amount of magnesium, which will reduce her circulating insulin levels (which can lead to laminitis).

Regarding fescue... It can be infected with a toxic endophyte fungus called Neotyphodium coenophialum which can cause prolonged gestation and a thickened placenta in pregnant mares. But, it can also be harmful for any horse, male or female. This fungus reduces circulation in the feet and can induce laminitis when a large amount is consumed. So you made a good choice by switching her to orchardgrass.

One recommendation... have the orchardgrass hay analyzed for its sugar and starch levels, and also its calcium and phosphorus content. Orchardgrass has been known to have more phosphorus than calcium, which is potentially damaging to her bones, making them porous, weak, and malformed. You can relieve your mind about offering her this hay by knowing what's in it. And regarding sugar and starch, you'll want the %NSC to be no more than 12%. Add WSC + Starch to give you NSC.

Hope this is helpful. Keep up the fine work.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dutch Henry
In Dec I adopted a 10 year old Tenn Walker mare,Honey, who had been foundered several years in a row, (On grass), the last time March of 08. She is a wonderful horse. Since Dec 1, we've hit the trail 73 times! -- But on June 20, she had a setback. She was perfectly sound and her feet looked great, like nothing ever happened. She had been in kegs on the front since I had her. My farrier (Who was the fellow who rescued her) and I thought we could start her barefoot. She went dead lame in half a day! We put her shoes back on in the morning, but it took her a few days to get right again. And some Bute and Banimine.

ALSO, I had purchased 100 bales of fresh hay June 1, and had spent a week making the transistion. In my area the most avaiable hay is fescue. And that is what I bought, she had been on weedy orchard grass hay.

I am a barefoot kind of fellow and like to follow Jamie Jackson's guidence. During her recovery I bought his book on Founder, and he warns of Fescue hay and founder. (Although I'm sure this bout was the shoe thing)- I've already made the switch to Orchard grass hay, traded all my hay.

Honey has a nice run in, about an acre, about half wooded, no grass. I feed Purina Well Solve, Low Starch, 4 pounds a day,- in four different meals. Her hay I feed at five different times, 22 ponds a day, at four different locations along her paths in her lot.

She is fully sound again, we rode today again, the first time in 32 days.

My question, do you agree with Jamie, that Fescue hay can be a problem with founder?

Thank you - Dutch Henry

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty.

Dutch Henry

Where are you from? Va

How did you locate this forum? Google

Hi Dutch,

I'm delighted to help.

Dr. Getty

Dutch Henry