Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Giving extra fat to a dressage draft horse?

Hello Danielle,

Sounds like the best way I can help you with your mare is for us to visit personally over the phone. Inability to hold a normal weight can have many causes and I would like to get the big picture by spending time going over her history, diet, exercise, medical treatments (if any), environment, etc. to customize a feeding plan that will help her gain weight.

In the meantime, a low starch/low sugar diet is best but it should also contain fat. Rice bran is fine but I would also give her flaxseed meal -- 1/2 cup per 400 lbs of body weight. Nutra Flax is best because it does not contain any added grain.

In addition, consider giving her Ration Plus to help her obtain more calories from forage.

Finally, fescue can contain a fungus that causes weight loss in all horses, so this may be the main problem.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Danielle Broeren
Hello,

I searched the forums and found other posts for draft horses, but the ones listed were easy keepers or light work.

Her background:
I ride dressage 3-5 days a week, she is 10 yrs old, 1750lbs, and currently a good weight- she is very high energy for a draft horse, and I usually do not have problems with her weight, but if I do, it is to put weight on her.

She is on 24 hr pasture of grass (fescue, I believe) and clover. There is grass type hay available at all times as well.

Right now she gets about 6 lbs of feed mill sweet feed a day- about 10% protein, not sure on the other ratios, but it has oats, corn, and soybean with a bit of molasses.

She shows no signs of muscle problems, but I fed oil as a top dressing in the past until it got too expensive, and she had more energy and stamina with the added fat. I recently found a cheaper ($25 instead of $50 a bag) fat additive grain (Rice bran based, by the makers of Equishine) with 20% fat and 12% protien,fiber 8%, Ca P each at 1.5%, and would like to try adding fat in a pelleted form.

Basically I am looking to optimize her performance and give her the best nutrition possible for a draft horse doing heavy riding work.

My questions:

If she doesn't have signs of EPSM, would a low starch diet benefit her nutritionally for performance? Should I cut out the sweet feed and switch to Nutrena Safechoice, or something similar? Or just leave well enough alone because she is fine on sweet feed?

And how much of the rice bran fat supplement should I add to her diet? I read 20-25% of the diet should be fat. I know there are calculations out there, but none of them include free choice forage as an option.

Oh, I read somewhere that a higher fat diet would also create less heat during exercise- she is heavily muscled, and in the summer I can only ride in the early morning or evening because she has a hard time dissipating heat, even though she is body clipped. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Danielle

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO