Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: skinny mini mama

Hi Michelle,

I would suggest that you give her all the grass hay she wants, as well as approximately 1/3 alfalfa hay. She can also benefit from some more fat -- flaxseed meal is an excellent choice because it is high in omega 3 fatty acids, which will benefit her health in many ways. Go with Nutra Flax because it is stabilized and corrects the high phosphorus content by adding a small amount of calcium.

A 5-day, double dose (for her weight) of fenbendazole is a good idea to do on a regular basis (once a year). But her caloric needs are much higher than they were when she was pregnant, so she needs to eat considerably more. Grass hay plus alfalfa is best, along with a source of vitamins and minerals (from her commercial feed) and flax -- this should make a significant improvement.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Michelle
Help! We have miniature horses which I have finally figured out they all have hay belly, but one is a new mama June 1, who is looking really skinny. She has been vet checked and everything good. Told me to up food intake and worm her more often. Any advice on what to do besides that. She is on mare and foal feed about 1 pound 2 x's day, 2-4 flakes of hay split up morn and nite also 1 ounce vitamins from vet and 1 ounce of Opti-zyme. I am so worried I am not doing the right thing. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Oh and would a 5 day deworming work ok on her? Gypsy is her name and she was wormed early june and mid july. Thank you muchly!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to get the alfalfa and start her on that. I have found Purina Natures Balance Amplify and started her on that which contains the Flax and alot of things that will help so I've slowly incorporated that into her feed. Thank you again and I will let you know how she is doing.

Where are you from? Pennsylvania

How did you locate this forum? just happened to find it

Hi Michelle,

I'm glad to help. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Michelle
Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to get the alfalfa and start her on that. I have found Purina Natures Balance Amplify and started her on that which contains the Flax and alot of things that will help so I've slowly incorporated that into her feed. Thank you again and I will let you know how she is doing.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO