Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Winter feeding..

Hi again Dr. Getty...
I also had a question about feeding for the winters here in Colorado. I do not blanket my horse at all and she seems to get a nice winter coat and seems content just having her shelter to get out of the worst of the weather. The whole reason for having her on the strategy in the first place was because I needed her to put weight on before the cold set in to be sure she had enough to keep her warm. I felt as though where I board her that they did not feed her enough for a good winter weight. She kept good weight all winter and I just didn't take her off of it. And hopefully you read the first posting before you read this one which tells you more of her diet. Would you give me some idea of any changes to do to her diet to prepare for the seasons? Thank you so much!! Sherrie

Where are you from? Denver, Colo.

How did you locate this forum? web

Re: Winter feeding..

Hi Sherrie,

Most horses do not require winter blanketing as long as they have shelter against wet, windy weather. So from what you describe, she'll do fine without one.

Hay, all she wants, 24/7 -- that's the key. Her digestive tract requires forage flowing throughout it at all times. That's the way horses are made -- they are trickle feeders -- grazers. If she goes for hours without anything to graze on she will develop an ulcer because her stomach secretes acid constantly. And she won't be able to hold a good weight. The microbial population in her hind gut will also be compromised, making her prone toward colic and even laminitis.

So, the best thing you can do for her this winter is to never let her run out of hay. Give her a vitamin mineral supplement (like the one I mentioned in my previous post) to fill in nutritional gaps, and also provide her with flaxseed meal to not only offer more calories but give omega-3 fatty acids which will keep her immune system in top shape. Nutra Flax is worth considering because it is stabilized, doesn't have any added grain, and the calcium and phosphorus levels are in the proper proportion.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sherrie A
Hi again Dr. Getty...
I also had a question about feeding for the winters here in Colorado. I do not blanket my horse at all and she seems to get a nice winter coat and seems content just having her shelter to get out of the worst of the weather. The whole reason for having her on the strategy in the first place was because I needed her to put weight on before the cold set in to be sure she had enough to keep her warm. I felt as though where I board her that they did not feed her enough for a good winter weight. She kept good weight all winter and I just didn't take her off of it. And hopefully you read the first posting before you read this one which tells you more of her diet. Would you give me some idea of any changes to do to her diet to prepare for the seasons? Thank you so much!! Sherrie

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO