Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding my pregnant mare continued...

Dr. Getty,
Here I am again.. After reading my last post it sounded like I implied that the boarding facility was not feeding my horse enough. I want to correct that as they are very good about feeding and do use quality alfalfa. I am very happy how they treat my mare. And you couldn't find a cleaner place! I meant to say that I just needed to pick her weight up by adding some supplements along with what hay they were giving her to get her ready for the cold as she seemed to need a bit more than she had through the summer. And, after reading through your posts, I am also trying to locate extra grass hay to put in her pen to munch on! Sorry for the 3 seperate postings..

Where are you from? Denver, Colo.

How did you locate this forum? web

Re: Feeding my pregnant mare continued...

Hi Sherrie,

Oh good -- thanks for the clarification. I did get the impression that she wasn't getting enough hay. And as I've mentioned, be sure she doesn't run out.

Mare/Foal IIP is fine for a pregnant mare or you can go with Glanzen Complete, which will provide omega 3s, as well.

Happy Foaling!

Dr. Getty

Sherrie A
Dr. Getty,
Here I am again.. After reading my last post it sounded like I implied that the boarding facility was not feeding my horse enough. I want to correct that as they are very good about feeding and do use quality alfalfa. I am very happy how they treat my mare. And you couldn't find a cleaner place! I meant to say that I just needed to pick her weight up by adding some supplements along with what hay they were giving her to get her ready for the cold as she seemed to need a bit more than she had through the summer. And, after reading through your posts, I am also trying to locate extra grass hay to put in her pen to munch on! Sorry for the 3 seperate postings..

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO