Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: To many opinions for feeding my preg. mare.. Need help!

Hello Sherrie,

Thank you for writing about your mare. You are right to be concerned about alfalfa because too much can be detrimental for any horse, as well as a pregnant mare. Alfalfa is a wonderful addition to the diet but should not make up more than 50% of the hay ration.

At this stage in her pregnancy, she should have all the grass hay she wants (to avoid an ulcer), approximately 30 to 40 percent alfalfa, and a balanced feed. Too much starch and sugar is not appropriate for a horse that is not exercised regularly, so consider switching to one that is lower in starch such as Triple Crown Low Starch or even an equine senior feed.

Once she reaches her 8th month of pregnancy, her nutritional needs will increase dramatically and she should gain a pound every day. She will need more feed (and hence more meals, since her meal size should not exceed 3 lbs), and she would benefit from a vitamin/mineral supplement such as Mare/Foal IIP.

Once the foal is born, her nutritional needs will be even more than they were when she was pregnant. This means that her grass hay should be of high quality, her alfalfa intake should remain consistent, and her feed intake should be enough to provide enough calories to support lactation.

Make sure she is getting at least one ounce of plain, white salt each day. And water should always be near by and clean.

There is an excellent resource called The Complete Foaling Manual that offers detailed assistance with caring for your mare and newborn foal. It is not a nutritional guide, but one that helps the owner understand the foaling process and know what to expect. If you find that a personal phone visit would be helpful, please let me know. That way I can go over everything in detail and customize a plan that will help your mare throughout her pregnancy to stay healthy and produce a healthy foal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sherrie A
Hi Dr. Getty,
I currently have 1 mare 3mos. pregnant. She is a 15 yr. old Arabian maiden. I have owned her for 5 yrs. now and never had any problems with her. Easy keeper too. She is currently at a boarding facility that will only feed alfalfa hay (1 flake 2x day) I also have her on 2c. grain 2x day and 1c. strategy af 2x day with 1/2 c of equipride 2x day. She rarely, if at all, gets any pasture and I can only excercise her 2x a week as I work 2 jobs. She is very healthy and weighs approx. 900 lbs. I have been told that at 8 mos along I need to start switching her over to grass hay as alfalfa could potentially add to much weight to the foal and make a harder delivery. And also would cause the mares milk to be to rich which in turn could cause scours in the foal. And also, was told that alfalfa should not be consumed by the foal as he picks at it in her run.What would you suggest I feed including suppleiments and when is a safe time to add alfalfa to either of their diets? And after reading about grain... I think I need to stop feeding it! Thank you so much in advance! Sherrie

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO