Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feed Question for a Yearling?

Hi Dr. Getty:

Thanks for your reply. It seems I haven't done well by this foal either! My first foal had epiphysitis from over-feeding...so I thought my vet was correct in advising me not to supplement her to avoid that same situation. He last saw her in July of this year and she looked the same then. Obviously he was wrong. Perhaps I need a new vet?

Unfortunately I am unable to do a phone visit at this time, which is why I was hoping you would be able to advise via the forum. I am unable to get Glanzen or your other products locally here, and shipping to Canada is very expensive. I am stuck with Purina or Brooks feeds mainly.

I will take a look at all the feed tags and try and figure it out. Perhaps I'll simply start with one thing and go from there. I can add fresh ground flaxseed to her ration as well. That may help.

Thank you for your time.

Tamara

Where are you from? Ontario Canada

How did you locate this forum? Favourites

Hi Tamara,

Thank you for your patience in my getting back to you. I was not avoiding you -- I left town the day you wrote this last posting and just returned.

I took a look at the Evolution Juvenile and was pleasantly surprised to see that it is low in starch. Go ahead and feed that according to directions.

About the flax... Yes, you can certainly grind your own, but you'll need to do it on a daily basis since once ground, they go rancid very quickly. Give your horse 1/2 cup (57 grams of weight or fill a 120 ml container) of ground flaxseed meal per 400 lbs (approximately 180 kg) of body weight.

Because flaxseeds contain a very high amount of phosphorus, you'll want to make sure your horse gets some alfalfa -- either hay, cubes, or pellets -- to provide enough calcium to balance out the phosphorus level.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Tamara
Hi Dr. Getty:

Thanks for your reply. It seems I haven't done well by this foal either! My first foal had epiphysitis from over-feeding...so I thought my vet was correct in advising me not to supplement her to avoid that same situation. He last saw her in July of this year and she looked the same then. Obviously he was wrong. Perhaps I need a new vet?

Unfortunately I am unable to do a phone visit at this time, which is why I was hoping you would be able to advise via the forum. I am unable to get Glanzen or your other products locally here, and shipping to Canada is very expensive. I am stuck with Purina or Brooks feeds mainly.

I will take a look at all the feed tags and try and figure it out. Perhaps I'll simply start with one thing and go from there. I can add fresh ground flaxseed to her ration as well. That may help.

Thank you for your time.

Tamara

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,

No, I did not think you were avoiding me, lol. I know you are busy! I was fortunate enough to be able to attend a local event that an equine nutritionist was available to consult with. She specializes in Purina feeds, but also has knowledge of other feeds as well. I asked her about my filly and she gave me a recommendation on the amounts to feed each feed I was looking at giving her, but instead of Equilizer for her, she recommended Optimal (http://www.agripurina.ca/Screens/Optimal.aspx)as a supplement as it is formulated for horses under 2 years of age. The BMZ she said is just for hooves but I could feed it for a year (she said it takes at least 9 months for a hoof to grow back from coronet to the ground) and then take her off and see how she goes just on her regular ration. When she is over 2 years of age, I can switch her to Evolution Elite and Equilizer to balance, as she will still need a concentrate as she will still be growing, but not quite as fast, and her training sessions will be more often and longer (hopefully!) to start her under saddle.

I have fed flax to my horses before and I know that it needs to be ground fresh every day. She said it wouldn't be necessary with the Optimal, but it was my choice as it is good for the hair coat and hooves as well, but as you said it is high in phosphorus and to feed alfalfa cubes or hay with her regular hay, about 20-30% alfalfa in the mix. My regular hay is not so great this year so I was going to supplement her hay ration with some alfalfa hay anyway.

Luckily, the Evolution Juvenile, Optimal and BMZ are all in pellet form, which my filly readily eats, so I won't have to worry about a powdered supplement drifting to the bottom and not being eaten!

Thank you so much for your reply, and if you have anything to add, please let me know.

Tamara

Where are you from? Ontario Canada

How did you locate this forum? Favourites

Hi Tamara,

I'm delighted that you were able to obtain some professional assistance.

Keep up the fine work!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Tamara
Hi Dr. Getty,

No, I did not think you were avoiding me, lol. I know you are busy! I was fortunate enough to be able to attend a local event that an equine nutritionist was available to consult with. She specializes in Purina feeds, but also has knowledge of other feeds as well. I asked her about my filly and she gave me a recommendation on the amounts to feed each feed I was looking at giving her, but instead of Equilizer for her, she recommended Optimal (http://www.agripurina.ca/Screens/Optimal.aspx)as a supplement as it is formulated for horses under 2 years of age. The BMZ she said is just for hooves but I could feed it for a year (she said it takes at least 9 months for a hoof to grow back from coronet to the ground) and then take her off and see how she goes just on her regular ration. When she is over 2 years of age, I can switch her to Evolution Elite and Equilizer to balance, as she will still need a concentrate as she will still be growing, but not quite as fast, and her training sessions will be more often and longer (hopefully!) to start her under saddle.

I have fed flax to my horses before and I know that it needs to be ground fresh every day. She said it wouldn't be necessary with the Optimal, but it was my choice as it is good for the hair coat and hooves as well, but as you said it is high in phosphorus and to feed alfalfa cubes or hay with her regular hay, about 20-30% alfalfa in the mix. My regular hay is not so great this year so I was going to supplement her hay ration with some alfalfa hay anyway.

Luckily, the Evolution Juvenile, Optimal and BMZ are all in pellet form, which my filly readily eats, so I won't have to worry about a powdered supplement drifting to the bottom and not being eaten!

Thank you so much for your reply, and if you have anything to add, please let me know.

Tamara

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO