Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
gastrointestinal issues

HI -

I have a coming 5 y/o haflinger mare. I've owned her since yearling year. She went to 'school' in February and in June coliced to the point of surgery. Impaction. She coliced again about 4 weeks after that- again impacted but no surgery was required.

I then had her scoped for ulcers - postive for both gastric & colonic ulcers. One vet said '24 hours on grass' (which was causing the repeated colic episodes) the other says 'no more hay'...VERY confusing. So now she's on 3-4 'complete feed' (omeline 400) feedings per day, orchard grass in a 'small hole' mesh net and out to graze twice per day - either AFTER sun goes down or EARLY AM. She also gets Probios 2x's per day. She's finishing her ulcer med this coming tuesday.

Am I doing the right thing by her? She NEVER had gastrointestinal issues on grass before! I'm concerned that her gut has been somehow compromised because whenever she grazes she gets really gassy, and bloaty and occasional bad breath. (if she grazes for more than 2 hours at a time)

I DO wet the hay for the afternoon when she's out in her round pen but during the day IN her stall it's dry hay - always simple orchard grass...

Should I try the succeed? I've heard this may be MORE helpful w/ her hindgut digestion...

I am weighing everything to try to stay within the companies guidelines for feeding / weight ratio. She's about 14'1 hands and weighs approximately 950 lbs. She's the draft style haffie.

thank you!

Where are you from? KY

How did you locate this forum? Diana (your daughter!) : D

Re: gastrointestinal issues

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for writing. I am very sorry to hear about your mare's situation since gastric ulcers are treated differently than colonic ulcers. It is complex and the best way I can help you is to visit with you over the phone to go over every detail.

In the meantime, she should not have any cereal grain. Omelene is making her situation worse because of its high starch content. Starch causes more acid production.

She should have no added oats, corn, barley, etc. or molasses, or any sweet treats such as carrots of apples. Instead, a low starch commercial feed or mixing your own low starch ingredients (such as beet pulp and alfalfa pellets) will work and we can go over the pros and cons of each when we visit. She need to have 6 to 8 meals per day so her digestive tract is never empty.

Hay is out of the question for a colonic ulcer -- but grass grazing -- 15 mintues at a time, 4 or 5 times a day is generally fine.

Talk to your vet about sulfracate -- a medication that forms a protective lining in her colon.

Succeed is an excellent choice at a double dose. In addition, I recommend Daily Start, a probiotic (Succeed works differently -- with no live microbes) that also protects immune function.

I hope you'll consider setting up an appointment because we are dealing with two very different types of ulcers. I would like to go over the big picture, first evaluating the initial cause of the colic episodes and the ulcer formation. And then, aggressively treat your mare to allow her to heal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Barbara
HI -

I have a coming 5 y/o haflinger mare. I've owned her since yearling year. She went to 'school' in February and in June coliced to the point of surgery. Impaction. She coliced again about 4 weeks after that- again impacted but no surgery was required.

I then had her scoped for ulcers - postive for both gastric & colonic ulcers. One vet said '24 hours on grass' (which was causing the repeated colic episodes) the other says 'no more hay'...VERY confusing. So now she's on 3-4 'complete feed' (omeline 400) feedings per day, orchard grass in a 'small hole' mesh net and out to graze twice per day - either AFTER sun goes down or EARLY AM. She also gets Probios 2x's per day. She's finishing her ulcer med this coming tuesday.

Am I doing the right thing by her? She NEVER had gastrointestinal issues on grass before! I'm concerned that her gut has been somehow compromised because whenever she grazes she gets really gassy, and bloaty and occasional bad breath. (if she grazes for more than 2 hours at a time)

I DO wet the hay for the afternoon when she's out in her round pen but during the day IN her stall it's dry hay - always simple orchard grass...

Should I try the succeed? I've heard this may be MORE helpful w/ her hindgut digestion...

I am weighing everything to try to stay within the companies guidelines for feeding / weight ratio. She's about 14'1 hands and weighs approximately 950 lbs. She's the draft style haffie.

thank you!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO