Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
extras with TC 30%

Hi Dr. Getty, I feed all my horses Triple Crown 30% Supplement and free choice timothy hay. All my horses are easy keepers but my Lactating mares and weanlings need a little more calories. I was wondering what would be better to add for more calories;
soaked Alfalfa cubes or soaked Beet Pulp Pellets

Right now im feeding some of both but would like to switch to just one or the other to make storage and feeding time easier.
Alfalfa hay is not available in my area, so thats not an option.

Thanks, Becky

Where are you from? NY

Re: extras with TC 30%

Hi Becky,

Since you have lactating mares and growing horses, go with the alfalfa pellets. Generally speaking, one pound of alfalfa pellets is equivalent to 2 lbs of alfalfa hay. A pregnant mare, for example, should have at least 1/3 of her hay ration at alfalfa. So if she is eating, let's say, 25 lbs of grass hay per day, give her 4 lbs of pellets (equivalent to 8 lbs of alfalfa hay).

Thanks for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Becky
Hi Dr. Getty, I feed all my horses Triple Crown 30% Supplement and free choice timothy hay. All my horses are easy keepers but my Lactating mares and weanlings need a little more calories. I was wondering what would be better to add for more calories;
soaked Alfalfa cubes or soaked Beet Pulp Pellets

Right now im feeding some of both but would like to switch to just one or the other to make storage and feeding time easier.
Alfalfa hay is not available in my area, so thats not an option.

Thanks, Becky

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO