Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Three year old Arabian

Hello Margie,

A high protein feed is fine as long as the total diet does not contain 26% protein. In other words, a small amount of a high-protein feed, mixed in with other feedstuffs will result in a lower overall protein level.

Also, she should have grass hay throughout the night. If she goes for hours without anything to graze on she will develop an ulcer -- guaranteed.

Alfalfa pellets, Glanzen (or Glanzen Complete as the pasture quality starts to diminish), Lysine, and Beet Pulp (for added calories) is a much better way to go because it removes the guesswork out of supplementation. I like replacing the commercial feed with the same amount of beet pulp, add alfalfa pellets or you can give her alfalfa hay, and fill in the nutritional gaps with a flaxseed meal based supplement like Glanzen or Glanzen Complete. This will help her grow properly, eliminate the chances to starch-related osteopathic disorders developing (common in growing horses that are fed cereal grains), and provides all the protein she needs.

Lysine, as you mentioned, is important because she is still growing and requires more of this essential amino acid.

Thank you so much for writing!

Dr. Getty

Margie Briar
Hi Dr Getty,
I'm taking a three year old Arabian Filly, that Friends of mine got sick and need to sell there farm, and they asked me to take her, I asked them what they feed and they told me Pennefield All Phase, which I looked up and it says 26 percent protein.
I feed my horse alfalfa pellets and Glanzen 3 which I just switched to Glanzen Lite, she has access to pasture and hay. My horse is also on 24/7 pasture, they have her out from 6 pm to 6 am and then bring her in off of grass into a paddock untill evening time turn out. what are your suggestions on this? and also should she get lysiene?
Thanks.
Margie.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO