Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: supplementing a fortified feed

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for writing. I agree -- you should cut back on the commercial feed, but always give grass hay free choice otherwise, ironically, an easy keeper will get fatter. That's because it is very stressful for a horse to go without anything to chew. His digestive tract is designed to have forage flowing through it at all times. And stress results in the production of cortisol, the stress hormone, which increases circulating insulin. And the more insulin, the more fat storage. But when given all the hay a horse wants, he will self-regulate his intake to what his body needs. The key is not to feed more, but to feed enough so he never runs out. Feeding more simply results in eating more. But free-choice results in more and more left over. It takes about a week to see these results.

You may already be doing this, but just in case, I thought I'd talk about it since it is common misconception that hay should be restricted to assist in weight loss, when the opposite occurs. Plus ulcers and colic can develop when forage is restricted.

OK -- now to your question! A flaxseed-meal based vitamin/mineral supplement is ideal when filling in the gaps of a hay-only diet. I recommend Glanzen Lite Complete since you have an easy keeper. Give him 2 scoops per day, added to a very small meal of equine senior -- just enough to act as a carrier.

Blackenall can also be used to deepen his color. Give him 2 ounces per day since you'll be feeding the Lite version of Glanzen Complete.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Marilyn
Hi Dr. Getty - love your site!! I have a 1000 lb, 8 year old, black quarter horse who is an easy keeper. He gets less than the recommended amount of purina equine adult feed and is fed only grass hay, no pasture. I not only weigh his feed but I count the calories also. I want to make sure he gets all vitamins/minerals he needs and also want his coat to remain black in the summer, his skin is also dry without flax added to his feed - which do I feed and how much - Glanzen Complete, Blackenail, Accel, Nutra Flax, Glanzen Lite..?? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO