Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: feeding crushed lime

Hello Camille,

Limestone is a calcium source that contains approximately 34% calcium. However, calcium is not the best choice for promoting hoof health.

Biotin, one of the eight B vitamins, along with essential amino acids lysine and methionine, and also vitamin B6, plus minerals such as zinc and copper -- these are all important nutrients.

A hoof supplement will contain many of these, especially biotin. Your horse should have 20 to 30 mgs of biotin per day. See what products are available in Australia and if you'd like me to look at them, send me the websites.

For comparison purposes, take a look at BioFlax20, which is designed to not overlap with other fortified feeds, or BioFlax Ultra, which is more heavily fortified.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Camille
I`ve been advised to feed one tablespoon of crushed lime a day to help improve the very thin wall of my horses hooves and for general hoof improvement. Is this an appropriate and safe amount to feed? Are there any side effects of feeding crushed lime?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO