Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: suppliments

Hi Patti,

Many people like the convenience of feeding a commercially fortified feed, thereby eliminating the need to add a vitamin/mineral supplement. As long as you feed it according to directions, you can assume that your horse is getting enough vitamins and minerals to meet his needs.

However, I have two caveats to suggest to you. First, make sure that your horse is getting enough vitamin E. Most commercial feeds contain approximately 120 IU of Vitamin E per lb. Performance horses require extra vitamin E -- approximately 2 to 5 IU per pound of body weight. So most commercial feeds will not meet this need and an additional vitamin E supplement should be considered. Be sure to get one that contains only vitamin E, and not one that also contains selenium since selenium is supplied by the commercial feed and you do not want to risk overdosing this mineral. Something like SuPer E Natural or E8000 are worth considering.

The second thing is flaxseed meal to provide omega 3 fatty acids. Check the label on the commercial feed for flaxseed meal. Omega 3 fatty acids are important for all horses but especially those that work and perform. They protect joints, hooves, blood vessels, immune function, skin, hair, and a variety of other systems. You can easily add flaxseed meal by choosing a product that is stabilized and has a small amount of calcium added to correct the high phosphorus content naturally found in flax. I recommend Nutra Flax.

Thank you for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Patti
I feed local grass hay and alfalfa pellets, 1 lb coffee can of oats, beet pulp and Equerry's choice vitamins. I also give them a joint supplement. I was looking at LMF showtime and super supplement and was wondering if this would be a better choice then feeding the oats, beet pulp and vitamins I mentioned above but continue the joint supplement. I show in ranch versatility and cutting. They both look great but wanted to compare for both cost and the best nutrients for them. Thank you....

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO