Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Kick in the left hip area, left a gap and a bubble in the muscle tissue of my horse.

Hi Doc,
My new mare is a 5-6 year old palamino paint. Due to some rough playing with other horses she got kicked. It left a 3 inch tear underneath the skin. She is not favoring the left rear leg but her rear end is weak and she still has pockets down by the hock area, and I have increased her salt as we talked. But the torn muscle I had a chiropractor to check it and he felt inside of the rip and it did not hurt her at all she is not lame. My question is will the glanzen complete which is what I believe I have help her muscles and maybe help to heal her muscle back. I am hoping it will close up and the bubble will go away. Please help if you can.
Sign Cajunn...

Where are you from? AZ

How did you locate this forum? From a close friend

Re: Kick in the left hip area, left a gap and a bubble in the muscle tissue of my horse.

Hi Cajunn,

I'm so sorry to hear about her accident and relieved that she is not lame.

Glanzen Complete is very appropriate since it is high in antioxidants, vitamin E and C, as well as has anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. Be sure to give her one scoop per 400 lbs of body weight.

She also requires high quality protein to provide the necessary building blocks to repair tissue. Grass hay, combined with alfalfa, will provide all the essential amino acids she needs. However, you may want to give her additional support through a supplement known as SuPer Muscle Builder. This contains gamma oryzanol and branched chain amino acids, designed to build muscle mass.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Cajunn
Hi Doc,
My new mare is a 5-6 year old palamino paint. Due to some rough playing with other horses she got kicked. It left a 3 inch tear underneath the skin. She is not favoring the left rear leg but her rear end is weak and she still has pockets down by the hock area, and I have increased her salt as we talked. But the torn muscle I had a chiropractor to check it and he felt inside of the rip and it did not hurt her at all she is not lame. My question is will the glanzen complete which is what I believe I have help her muscles and maybe help to heal her muscle back. I am hoping it will close up and the bubble will go away. Please help if you can.
Sign Cajunn...

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO