Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding horses carrots and apples

My vet recently said that he doesn't recommend feeding horses carrots and apples especially to older horses. What is your opinion about this?

Where are you from? Yukon, OK

How did you locate this forum? web browsing

Re: feeding horses carrots and apples

Hi Glenda,

Your vet's concern is likely due to the propensity of older horses to develop equine Cushing's disease as they age. This leads to insulin resistance and such horses should not have feeds high in starch or sugar (such as sweet treats like carrots and apples) because the elevated insulin that results can lead to laminitis.

Unless your horse is very active, he should not have too much starch or sugar. His body and internal organs are aging and are less able to tolerate high levels of blood sugar. However, if he is healthy, is not overweight, and does not show signs of Cushing's (e.g., failure to shed, increased urination and thirst, muscle wasting, and depressed immune function), then a carrot or apple each day would be acceptable.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Glenda Cotner
My vet recently said that he doesn't recommend feeding horses carrots and apples especially to older horses. What is your opinion about this?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO