Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
making own feed?

Good Morning!
We have two quarter horses, a gelding approximately 14 and a mare who is approximately 19 years old. They are currently getting Poulin Carb Safe (the mare has had a few bouts with laminitis-our first time & most severe was a couple of years ago was caused by poor farrier work. Anyway, I was considering going to start them on Quiessence (they are both light in weight and would like just a little more on them for the winter months), Nutraflax and Glanzen Complete and switching to unsweetened beet pulp. They are given two servings of hay per day (would like to start giving them as much hay as they want). No pasture and very little if any riding at this time. Of course they have fresh water everyday as well. I am trying to do what is best for them but also keep cost down. Is there anything else I should be doing or should I continue with the current grain? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,Lynn

Where are you from? Woodstock CT

How did you locate this forum? Evolution of Animal Health Care

Re: making own feed?

Hi Lynn,

Sounds like you have a very good plan. If you feed Glanzen Complete according to directions (1 scoop per 400 lbs of body weight), then you won't need to also add Nutra Flax, since Glanzen Complete is flaxseed meal based.

Yes, be sure to give them as much grass hay as they want and add some alfalfa to the mix, to ensure high quality protein. This is an important addition and alfalfa is not at all high in sugar, as is commonly thought. Free choice grass hay, plus 30% alfalfa, will keep their weight good and their digestive systems healthy. Even overweight horses need hay free-choice, otherwise they stay overweight. When given all they want, they will self-regulate and eat only what their body's need.

Quiessence is helpful if you feel that they are insulin resistant. Most horses do not get enough magnesium, so a maintenance dose of 1 scoop per 500 lbs is appropriate. If you want to add more for insulin resistance, the added alfalfa will ensure enough calcium to provide more calcium than magnesium.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Lynn B
Good Morning!
We have two quarter horses, a gelding approximately 14 and a mare who is approximately 19 years old. They are currently getting Poulin Carb Safe (the mare has had a few bouts with laminitis-our first time & most severe was a couple of years ago was caused by poor farrier work. Anyway, I was considering going to start them on Quiessence (they are both light in weight and would like just a little more on them for the winter months), Nutraflax and Glanzen Complete and switching to unsweetened beet pulp. They are given two servings of hay per day (would like to start giving them as much hay as they want). No pasture and very little if any riding at this time. Of course they have fresh water everyday as well. I am trying to do what is best for them but also keep cost down. Is there anything else I should be doing or should I continue with the current grain? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,Lynn

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO