Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weight gain in Thoroughbred

Hi Marsha,

I would be delighted to go over your horse's situation in detail and a personal phone visit would be the best way, since to adequately answer all your questions here would be beyond the scope of this forum.

But I can offer you some suggestions. First, and foremost, if you do nothing else, give him all the hay he wants. If he runs out, his stomach continues to secrete acid, which leads to an ulcer, and weight loss. He also runs a high risk of developing colic. Horse's digestive tracts are designed for 24/7 forage flowing through their system to keep acid at bay, protect hindgut bacterial flora, and keep gut motility normal. He needs to chew to produce saliva, a natural antacid. Don't worry about his gaining weight -- when given the chance, he'll self-regulate his intake and only eat what his body needs. The key is to not give more, but to give it free-choice. If you feed more, he'll eat more. If you give it free-choice, he'll eat a lot for a few days and then he'll see that he can walk away and the hay is still there. He'll calm down, relax, and eat enough to maintain a normal weight.

You asked about corn oil. I don't recommend it. It is very, very high in omega 6 fatty acids, which increase inflammation of joints and muscles. Go with canola oil. Or, add the following supplements:

1) Nutra Flax, for omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation and add fat (calories) from flaxseed meal.

2) Ration Plus, to boost the health of the bacterial flora in the hind gut so he can derive more calories from his hay.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Marsha Christian
Hi Dr. Getty,

I have a four year old Thoroughbred gelding that just doesn't seem to gain weight. He's 17.1 and under light exercise (lunging for 20 minutes then riding mostly at a walk for 20 minutes).
I feed 3 scoops (approx. 7 1/2 lbs.) of a 12% sweet feed twice a day with 2-3 flakes of grass hay.
He, and my other horses, are current on their rotational worming. He will have his teeth floated in the early spring when the others get theirs done, but he doesn't seem to be quidding. He is turned out in a paddock for at least 2 hours every day (paddock has very little grass).
I don't want him to be overweight but he really is too lean. I had several questions... Would corn oil help him? And if so how much? Would it be better than a commercial weight builder? Am I feeding too much at a feeding? Should he maybe eat less grain at one time but split into 3 feedings instead of the current 2? Should I try to find better quality feed/hay for him? Should I give him beet pulp to add bulk to his grain ration? (Ack!!! Question overload!)
Sorry about that, but as you can see I've given the matter quite a bit of thought. Any direction you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much,
Marsha

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO