Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wellsolve LS

I have recently slowly changed my IR mare to this LOL And last night I saw her buck for the first time in quite awhile this year.

She just slowly savors each bite *quite comical actually* I told her tonight to guard it from the other two LOL

We decided to keep her on this and the other two who are not IR on Nutrena Safe Choice.

I truly hope we have found the last piece of the puzzle for my mare to have a long healthier life.

What I read on one website it shows as haveing 889ppm I think was the letters after it of Iron. Is that high or low?

Where are you from? Missouri

How did you locate this forum? Knew about it from awhile back

Re: Wellsolve LS

Hello R. Campbell,

Purina Wellsolve L/S is an excellent choice for IR horses because it is low in %NSC (approximately 12%) and also high in magnesium, which helps regulate blood insulin levels. Magnesium also improves behavior and disposition in many horses because most horses do not get enough of this mineral, resulting in borderline deficiencies that create a negative change to their demeanor and ability to concentrate and respond positively to requests.

Nutrena Safe Choice (poor name) is not safe for IR horses. Yes, it is lower in %NSC than high starch, sweet feeds but its level is approximately 26% NSC, which is not acceptable. Also it contains corn, which is very poorly digested and can more readily end up in the hind gut where it can be fermented by the cecal bacteria, increasing the risk of laminitis.
So, you can continue to feed it only to your non-IR horses, but in moderation because of the corn content.

Regarding iron -- 500 ppm is the limit for the entire diet.

Thanks for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

R. Campbell
I have recently slowly changed my IR mare to this LOL And last night I saw her buck for the first time in quite awhile this year.

She just slowly savors each bite *quite comical actually* I told her tonight to guard it from the other two LOL

We decided to keep her on this and the other two who are not IR on Nutrena Safe Choice.

I truly hope we have found the last piece of the puzzle for my mare to have a long healthier life.

What I read on one website it shows as haveing 889ppm I think was the letters after it of Iron. Is that high or low?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO