Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Laminitis

Hi Dr. Getty,

I have a horse who foundered 2 years ago. He was on Laminex and doing great, but stopped eating it 4 months ago. He recently had an episode of sore feet--don't know if it is a re-occurance or from shoeing--X-rays showed no rotation. He's not overweight but has a cresty neck. My question (finally!) can I feed Quiessence and Laminex together? Would that be too much magnesium? I'll get him to eat the Laminex again somehow!!! He's not large--15 hands--an Arab/Saddlebred.

Thank you so much!

Molly

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? Web surfing

Re: Laminitis

Hi Molly,

Since he still has a cresty neck, I recommend adding Quiessence to Laminex. 5 oz (two scoops) of laminex provides 6,000 mg of magnesium. You want him to have 5,000 mg per 250 lbs of body weight. So, if he weighs, say, 900 lbs, he should have approximately 17,500 mg of magnesium.

If you give him 2 1/2 scoops of Quiessence, that will provide 12,500 mg magnesium. Plus the two scoops of Laminex, and you'll reach 18,500 mg -- that's within range.

Watch his sugar and starch intake. Have your hay analyzed, if at all possible. And feed him all that he wants. The stress of running out of something to graze on can trigger another laminitis attack.

And do not feed any feed that contains cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, etc.) or molasses. Avoid sweet treats such as carrots or apples. If you like to give treats, consider Skode's Treats, or broken alfalfa cubes.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Molly
Hi Dr. Getty,

I have a horse who foundered 2 years ago. He was on Laminex and doing great, but stopped eating it 4 months ago. He recently had an episode of sore feet--don't know if it is a re-occurance or from shoeing--X-rays showed no rotation. He's not overweight but has a cresty neck. My question (finally!) can I feed Quiessence and Laminex together? Would that be too much magnesium? I'll get him to eat the Laminex again somehow!!! He's not large--15 hands--an Arab/Saddlebred.

Thank you so much!

Molly

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO