Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stressy Pony that gets heated easily

Greetings Sarah,

I like your idea of Speedibeet because beet pulp is an excellent feed for ponies. They are genetically predisposed toward insulin resistance and should not be fed any cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, wheat, rye, etc.) or any sweet feeds or sweet treats (such as carrots and apples). Beet pulp does not create a dramatic change in blood sugar (glucose) and insulin, so it is very safe to feed.

Chaff is acceptable as a filler to keep her digestive system full at all times. But she does need to gain weight, so it would be better to give her a high quality grass hay -- all she wants -- along with some alfalfa hay (lucerne). If you are able to obtain lucerne hay, give her one flake for every two flakes of grass hay. If not, feed 2 to 4 kg of alfalfa cubes or pellets each day, added to moistened beet pulp (speedibeet).

In addition, a prebiotic will help the bacterial population in her hindgut more efficiently digest forage so she gets more calories from it. A prebiotic is not the same as a probiotic (which contains live microbes). A prebiotic contains fermentation products that "feed" existing microbes. Take a look at Ration Plus and see if you can find something similar in your area.

So in summary... good quality grass hay fed free-choice, lucerne, and three meals per day of speedibeet, along with a prebiotic, and this will likely put weight on her. Make sure her teeth are properly cared for (floated at least once each year) and she is on an appropriate deworming program.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sarah Wood
I am trying to discover what I should feed my pony. He is a 13.3hh welsh Cob who needs to gain a bit of weight. He is a bit ribby at the moment. When I bought him I was warned not to feed him s he gets fizzy easily.

He was on 1/2 stubbs scoop Hi Fi Lite and 1/2 stubbs scoop dry weight allen & Pages Fast fibre and Brinnicombe Think Pink vit & min balancer.

I changed his feed to try and add more weight. First I upped the Hi Fi to 1 scoop and the Fast Fibre to one scoop. He became a bit more fizzy but wasn't too bad. I then went to a feed store and they suggested wheatfeed. I fed this and he turned into a rocket and was itchy! He even reared with me today. I think he might have had a reaction to the wheatfeed. Also not long after I bought him he appeared to have sweet itch type symptoms, was very grumpy, itchy all the time and rubbed sores on his head and croup. I am now wondering if it was down to a feed intolerance such as wheat.

I don't know what to feed him to help him gain weight but stay sane bearing in mind everything heats him up!

I have thought about speedibeet and a unmollassed chaff would that work? Or would he need more?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO