Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: losing weight

Hello Andrea,

Thank you for writing about your fellow. There are many reasons for weight loss, so it's important to rule out any medical problems by having blood work done to see how his liver and kidneys are functioning. Also, his teeth need to be floated at least once each year and he should be on a good deworming program that includes treating for tapeworms and encysted larvae (prazaquantel and moxidectin, respectively).

But assuming all is well and he is healthy, he may simply be deficient in calories. You mentioned that he used to be on free-choice hay. If this is no longer the case, that is the first and most important thing you can do. If he goes for hours without anything to graze upon, the acid will wear a ulcer in his digestive tract and destroy the bacterial flora in the hind gut -- both leading to weight loss.

I also recommend adding two things to his diet:
1) Ration Plus -- this prebiotic will boost the health of the bacterial flora, making him better able to derive calories from forage (hay and/or pasture).
2) Nutra Flax -- give him 3 scoops per day of this stabilized flaxseed meal. The fat will add calories, but it is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which protect a variety of body systems.

But, as I mentioned, the most important thing you can do is to give him good quality grass hay -- free-choice. And if possible, add approximately 25 to 30 percent alfalfa hay. Or you can offer him alfalfa cubes or pellets mixed in with his beet pulp.

If you'd like for me to go over his entire diet and all the supplements to see if everything is in balance and there are no overlaps, consider a private phone visit. That way I can spend an hour or more with you going over everything -- his history, exercise, diet, medical treatments, environment, etc. to customize a feeding plan for him.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Andrea
My 11 year old Appendix Quarter horse has lost a great deal of weight over the last couple of months. He typically looks like a huge warmblood that is a relatively easy keeper, but now you can see his ribs a little more than I'd like, he has lost his topline and muscle definition. In the past, we have had him on Ultium, Farrier's Formula, Chondrogen EQ, Perfect Balance Electrolytes, free choice grass hay and 2 hours of turnout a day.

At the new stable he eats 1/2 a feed scoop of Seminole Perform Safe: http://seminolefeed.com/WellnessWebsite/ProductSheetsforWeb/WellnessPerformSafePellet.htm
and 1/2 scoop of FCA Racing Blend: http://www.farmerscoop.com/Feed_Division/ADM/Forage_First/forage_first_fca_fortified_feeds.htm

He also eats 1 cup of beet pulp pellets (1 cup before they are soaked). He is on SmartHoof from Smartpak, Chondrogen EQ and Perfect Balance Electrolytes as well. He is turned out for a couple of hours and gets exercised daily. I believe that he eats about 8 flakes of hay a day.

I am not sure of why she feeds him two commercial feeds... It is a full-board stable, I am used to having complete control of my horses' diets, but the manager is willing to change diet.

What should I tell her to switch him to?

Thank you

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for the info! His teeth are floated once or twice a year depending on what the dentist says. He is on a regular deworming program that includes Equimax for the tapeworms. I talked to the barn manager and we are going to boost his hay back up to free choice. If that doesn't do anything in this next week, I will call the vet to have him run a blood test.

Where are you from? North Carolina

How did you locate this forum? yahoo

Hi Andrea,

Good plan -- keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Andrea
Thanks for the info! His teeth are floated once or twice a year depending on what the dentist says. He is on a regular deworming program that includes Equimax for the tapeworms. I talked to the barn manager and we are going to boost his hay back up to free choice. If that doesn't do anything in this next week, I will call the vet to have him run a blood test.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO