Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horse nutrition

I am leasing a 13 year old paint/belgian mix. He is extremely overweight. I work him about 1.5 hours 5 days a week, in dressage, without much weight loss. He eats 1 cup of oats in the morning and evening, and 4 flakes of hay a day, he also gets vit. E and selinium and MSM once a day. He has had potassium problems in the past, becoming hyperkalemic, so his owner is scared of switching him to anything but the oats. I am scared of him foundering. I would really like him to loose some weight, does anyone have any suggestions for grains or a feeding program for him?

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Re: Horse nutrition

Hello Wendy,

I have a couple of recommendations for you that will help him lose weight and also meet his decreased need for potassium.

First and most important... do not restrict grass hay. If he runs out of hay, it is very stressful, leading to fat storage (because of stress hormone production). He will self-regulate and eat only what his body needs if you give him all the grass hay he wants. The key is not to feed more, but to feed all his wants -- free-choice -- and at first, he will eat too much but after a few days he will eat less and less and after a week or so, he will eat only a fraction of his original amount.

Next, he should not have grain (oats) because he is genetically predisposed to insulin resistance, which also causes fat storage. And it also leads to laminitis.

If you suspect that he has hyperkalemic periodic paralysis (if he has any QH in him), then low potassium is important. Instead of oats, go with Triple Crown Low Starch, which only has .75% potassium (less than oats).

In addition, give him magnesium and chromium from Quiessence to help with his insulin resistance. I recommend giving him 1 sccop per 250 lbs of body weight, not to exceed 5 scoops per day.

This will get you started and you're wise to be concerned about him developing laminitis and seeking ways to avoid it. If I can help you further, perhaps by visiting with you personally over the phone, please let me know. That way I can go over every detail of his life, environment, exercise, and diet to customize a plan that works for you and him, and reinforces a healthy future.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Wendy Siegel
I am leasing a 13 year old paint/belgian mix. He is extremely overweight. I work him about 1.5 hours 5 days a week, in dressage, without much weight loss. He eats 1 cup of oats in the morning and evening, and 4 flakes of hay a day, he also gets vit. E and selinium and MSM once a day. He has had potassium problems in the past, becoming hyperkalemic, so his owner is scared of switching him to anything but the oats. I am scared of him foundering. I would really like him to loose some weight, does anyone have any suggestions for grains or a feeding program for him?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO