Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 24 yr old thoroughbred gelding, needs to gain weight

Greetings Hope,

Two very important suggestions:

First, make sure he does not run out of hay. It appears as though he's getting a sufficient amount on a regular basis, but he may run out during the night. Horse's stomachs secrete acid continuously and therefore, they are designed to have forage flowing through their digestive tracts at all times. This will prevent an ulcer, and weight loss. So, be sure he's getting enough hay at night so there is some left over in the morning. And that he doesn't run out of hay during the day. He will eat only what he needs to self regulate his intake, if given the chance.

Alfalfa is great and should be continued -- 30 to 40 percent of the overall hay ration. And beet pulp is a safe way to increase calories without the hormonal response that cereal grains create.

The second thing is
Ration Plus.
Give him 1 teaspoon per feeding. This prebiotic will boost the health of the bacterial flora living in the hindgut, helping them derive more calories from hay.

You may find getting together over the phone for a personal phone consultation to be very helpful. That way I can go over everything with you and answer all your concerns. But in the meantime, keep feeding they way you are, along with my suggestions.

One last thing... make sure his feed contains flaxseed meal. This extra fat is high in omega-3 fatty acids which will not only help him gain weight, but keep him healthy in a number of ways. If not, consider Nutra Flax.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hope Turino
Dr. Getty,

I took on a 23-24yr old thoroughbred gelding (not off the track), 15.2 hands, who weighed between 880 and 902 (tape measure) when he arrived mid-August, and is now after two and a half months, 945 (tape measure). I believe he was up higher than this when he had two weeks of lush grass (which he did fine with). Then when he came off the grass for the winter (mid-September) he lost weight. He is getting his teeth floated this Friday, which I imagine will help a lot, and another different “family” of worming as per vet’s recommendation. We just gave him a steroid shot, which seems to have helped already. In particular, he has some life force which was waning, prior to the shot, as was his wieght. Other than the weight and lack of pizzaz, he seems to be very sound and in good health, building muscle back with light working out. However, I live in the northeast and am very concerned to get more weight on him quickly, as the winter is upon us. I would like to post below his current regimen and get your feedback as I have never owned a horse and am trying to make sure the barn manager who is responsible for feeding him, is doing everything possible to help him along.

7:30 AM – 2 flakes alfalfa hay, 1 lb 10 oz Vintage Senior, 6 Hay Stretcher, 8oz Rice Bran.

9:00 AM – 2 flakes grass hay, 6oz Hay Stretcher, 8oz Rice Bran

11:00 AM – 1 lb 10oz Vintage Senior, 6oz Hay Stretcher, 8oz Rice Bran

3:00 PM – 2 flakes grass Hay, 1 lb 10oz Vintage Senior, 6oz Hay Stretcher, 8oz Rice Bran
*supplements = Corn Oil (3-4 oz), Fat Cat (2 scoops), Finish Line Joint (1-2oz).

9PM – 1 lb 10oz Vintage Senior, 6oz Hay Stretcher, 8oz Rice Bran

This is the adjusted Regimen: prior to this he was only getting the hay stretcher and rice bran at 9 and 3, I believe. I could check. We added in the alfalfa, and 11am and 9pm feedings following the vet visit. I have requested we add in beet pulp.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO