Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vitamin C

Hi Vicky,

Absolutely! Vitamin C is necessary for collagen production and should be given to any horse that has joint problems. And especially horses that are getting older -- I like to start vitamin C supplementation at the age of 16 and by the time they get near 20 years old, they should have it at higher levels since their own production has significantly declined.

So for healthy, older horses, I recommend approximately 5 mg (and up to 10 mg) per pound of body weight. Scooter would definitely benefit from vitamin C supplementation.

The key thing to know about adding vitamin C is that it is a lifelong supplement -- it is very important to continue adding it to your horse's diet for the rest of his life and not stop abruptly since he will react by exhibiting deficiency signs (such as internal hemorraging, loose teeth, bruising easily).

So, I have two recommendations for Cash:

1) Give him 8 mg of vitamin C per lb of body weight. So, if he's 1000 pounds, give him 8,000 mg per day.

2) In addition, I recommend silica. This mineral is an essential component of joints (and bones). Orthopur Si is silica in a bioavailable form called orthosilicic acid. Give him 2 Tablespoons per day.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Vicky
Hi Dr. Getty, Cash pulled a ligament in his left back kneecap back in early Sept, so un-rideable since waiting for it to heal. Vet checked him out but I was just wondering after reading about the Vit. C would he benefit from being started on it as it talked about how it repairs structural tissues. He's 15 1/2. We are very worried he will never be rideable again but vet says there is a chance he will heal. Whiskey is on it just due to his age. And what about Scooter our 18 yr. old pony, how much would we give her? Thanks so much

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks so much Dr. Getty - So how much would Scooter get? She prob weighs 250-300#'s. Also should we start them out slowly and work them up to there recommended dose because I remember when we started Whiskey it gave him the runs.

Where are you from? ILL

Hi Vicky,

At 8 mg per pound of body weight, the dose would be 2,000 to 2,400 mg per day. And yes, build up to this level. It is common for the manure to become loose and if you notice this happening, cut back until it becomes normal. Then increase slowly again until the manure is of normal consistency.

Dr. Getty

Vicky
Thanks so much Dr. Getty - So how much would Scooter get? She prob weighs 250-300#'s. Also should we start them out slowly and work them up to there recommended dose because I remember when we started Whiskey it gave him the runs.

Thanks so much so if i'm figuring right that would be less than 1/2 scoop? Reno/Cash are doing fine on there's so far.

Where are you from? ILL

Hi Vicky,

Actually, it will be about 1/3 scoop since one scoop of Pure C has 6910 mg of vitamin C.

Dr. Getty

Vicky
Thanks so much so if i'm figuring right that would be less than 1/2 scoop? Reno/Cash are doing fine on there's so far.