Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My mare is now eight months along

Would she need any magnesium in her diet? Thanks

Hi Sherry,

Congratulations, both on your upcoming foal, and for doing a great job with your mare!

You mention that she's on 24 hour turnout, but this time of year, pasture is not lush and she will need good quality grass hay -- all she wants. She's currently getting 6 lbs of alfalfa pellets, which is good but I would add an extra flake of alfalfa hay, if you have this available.

Nutra Flax -- increase to 3 scoops per day.

Increase her beet pulp since she needs the extra calories. She will gain 1/2 pound per day during her last three months of pregnancy!

PreOx is fine -- increase to two scoops per day. She needs the additional nutrients, especially minerals.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Sherry
Hello!!

My mare is now eight months along in her pregnancy. She is a 5 yr old 16.2 hand appendix quarterhorse. She is currently on 3 lbs of alfalfa pellets twice a day,1 lb of beat pulp. I feed it wet, but dry it equals 1 lb, 2 scoops of Nutra flax, 2 scoops of preox, and MSM. She also has her free choice salt, nice grass hay, and is turned out 24/7. I was just wondering what I should increase? Should I increase her Flaxseed and give her 1-2 flakes of good alfalfa on top of everything, or would that be to much? I want to maintain her weight since she only has a few months left here. Thank you very much.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Sherry,

Yes, I suggest increasing beet pulp. One pound of beet pulp is 2 quarts. You can feed 2 to 3 lbs per meal. You can also add alfalfa pellets.

Dr. Getty

Sherry
Thanks for replying. She gets all the hay she wants. I feed a nice grass hay. I just increased her beet pulp to 1 lb per feeding. Should I increase it even more? She also gets 2 scoops of Pre ox per day. I will look for some nice alfalfa hay!! Thanks again. i really ike the manual too!!!

Hi Sherry,

Before adding magnesium, I recommend having your hay analyzed. Contact Equi-analytical labs: www.equi-analytical.com to get your hay evaluated and check to see that magnesium is present in at least 1/3 the amount of calcium.

Also, make sure she is getting enough salt. A plain, white salt block is important and be sure she eats at least one ounce per day. If she doesn't, add 2 Tablespoons (divided between meals) of plain, non-iodized table salt (PreOx already has iodine) that you buy in the grocery store.

Dr. Getty

Sherry
Would she need any magnesium in her diet? Thanks