Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: questions about changing to low starch feed

Greetings Lori and Happy New Year!

Let me first commend you on your interest in researching the best diet for your horses. There is a lot of information available and much of it can be confusing, misleading, and often inaccurate.

I do not like feeding large amounts of soybean oil because it contains a large amount of omega 6 fatty acids. Omega 6 fatty acids, in particular linolenic acid, is an essential fatty acid and therefore must be in the diet (since the horse cannot produce it on his own). However, too much can cause inflammation, which can impair joint function, muscle recovery after exercise, and healing from injuries, large and small. Yes, soybean oil has some omega 3s (which have the opposite effect -- they decrease inflammation) but the level is small (less than 7%).

Instead, just about all horses benefit from flaxseed meal or flaxseed oil to provide omega 3s. They not only reduce inflammation, but they also regulate blood insulin levels (which is a concern for your IR horse). Omega 3s are also important for proper immune function helping horses respond to stress more favorably.

Triple Crown Low Starch is fine and you do not need to add another vitamin/mineral supplement if you feed it according to directions. However, this is too much feed for many horses, so if this is the case, consider adding a flaxseed meal-based supplement such as Glanzen Lite Complete in a slightly smaller dose than recommended.

If you are feeding it according to directions, then use Nutra Flax instead of Glanzen Lite Complete since Nutra Flax only contains flaxseed meal (that is stablized against rancidity and has a small amount of calcium added to correct for flax's inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio).

Quiessence is very helpful for IR horses at a high enough quantity to reduce circulating insulin levels. I recommend feeding 5,000 mg per 250 lbs of body weight. If you know the magnesium level in your hay, you can adjust the amount of Quiessence.

Alfalfa is a wonderful protein and calcium source. It is not high in sugar, as is popularly thought. It improves the protein quality in the overall diet, giving the horse the amino acids he needs to build and repair tissue. 20% of the hay ration as alfalfa is worthwhile and will provide enough calcium to keep the calcium to magnesium ratio in good shape since you'll be feeding Quiessence.

I hope this is helpful. Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Lori
I have been feeding oats, grass hay, a vitamin/mineral supplement (designed for oats and grass hay), and cocosoya oil. I just found your site tonight and have been doing a lot of searching and reading. I am searching because my new horse, a 3 year old QH gelding, has a hard crest, though I would not say it is thicker/much thicker than it should be. I was already planning on trying Quiessence after emailing Dr. Worth. I am now planning on changing my feeding program also. I understand the importance of low starch feeds with IR horses and realize this may be the problem with my new horse. I realize it is probably not a bad idea to switch my other horse to this diet also.
From reading your posts, I see you like Triple Crown Low Starch and I think I can get that. I was surprised to see you don't recommend Cocosoya. Are omega 6 fatty acids not good to use under any circumstance? I thought I was doing a good thing by feeding this supplement. This all gets so confusing esp. when I had done lots of research and thought I was using a good feeding program.
If I feed TC Low Starch, grass hay, and Quiessence, do I need to feed anything else? Do I need additional vitamins, minerals, oil, some alfalfa...? I have heard that processed commercial feeds are not always nutritionally complete even though they add vitamins and minerals back into the feed after processing.
Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO