Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: linseed/flaxseed

Hello Simon,

Once a flaxseed is broken open, the unsaturated fatty acids inside can quickly become rancid. This starts to happen immediately, therefore, flaxseed meal must be kept refrigerated and for no more than 3 days. Otherwise, the product will contain free-radicals (volatile, damaging molecules) that no one should feed to their horses.

The same is true for flaxseed oil -- Keep refrigerated below 40 degrees F and tightly sealed.

I prefer to use a commercial flaxseed meal preparation called Nutra Flax because the seeds are broken in such a way as to prevent quick oxidation, and hence rancidity. Also, since flax naturally contains too much phosphorus in relation to calcium, Nutra Flax adds some calcium to correct this inverted ratio.

Thank you for bringing up this important issue.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Simon Cooper
Hi Extruded linseed once processed ie seeds broken the oil is subject to oxidation, the good fat become bad fats. Also linseed oil sold for horses often has no sell by date unlike foods for humans. Whats bad for people must also apply for horses. How long after processing should pelleted/ extruded linseed be kept?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO