Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: balanced diet for performance horse?

Greetings Mary and Happy New Year!

It sounds like you're doing a fine job. I have a few suggestions to fine tune his diet.

First, since he is already getting plenty of minerals from Purina Ultium, I recommend that you remove his mineralized salt block and replace it with a plain, white one. He needs salt -- at least one ounce per day and more if he's exercising but he does not need the additional minerals. Plus, many horses do not eat mineralized salt blocks because they are bitter and therefore, do not get enough plain salt.

The second thing that comes to mind is vitamin E. At his exercise level, I recommend 3,000 IU per day. Ultium likely provides between 120 and 150 IU per lb (the exact amount is not printed on their website). So 6 lbs per day would give you 720 to 900 IUs per day, which is not sufficient. Consider adding plain vitamin E such as SuPer E Natural to make up the difference. Avoid vitamin E supplements that contain selenium, since he is already getting selenium from Ultium (and his hay).

Finally, make sure he has enough hay to last him through the night. The only way to know this is for there to be some left over in the morning. This is the most important dietary factor for a horse's health -- enough hay to keep his digestive tract healthy and prevent ulcers, colic, insulin resistance, and laminitis.

Thank you so much for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Mary C
Hi Dr Getty- I have an 8 year old Arab gelding that I use for competitve trail as well as pleasure riding, so we do quite a few miles each week. He currently is fed 6 lbs Purina Ultium and 2-3 lbs beet pulp (well soaked) daily (divided in 2 meals). He has access to a round bale during the day, and gets 2-3 flakes of hay in his stall at nite. Hay is coastal bermuda grass hay. During grooming time, he gets to munch on a little alfalfa. He also receives a glucosamine/chondroitin and a biotin supplement. He has free access to trace mineral Redmond salt. He looks good,, but I was wondering if you see anything he might be missing. Thanks!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO