Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Very loose stools

Hi,
I am new to horse ownership and have owned my 14 year old Paint horse for 6 months (since Aug. 09). When we visited him at his old home he had brown stains down his legs...not knowing much about horses I thought he was just "dirty". After we brought him to the barn we board him at I soon found out he was not "dirty" but had very watery stools. When he goes water comes out first...then instead of round balls it is more of a pile (sometimes it is more formed, but more times it is a mushy pile)...this is followed by more watery stuff. I have talked with our vet from day one about this and he put him on a probiotic. At first we used an oral paste for a week and then a powdered form now. We have been using the powder probiotic for about 3 weeks now. It doesn't seem to be working. He is now experienceing more "pudding" like stools with on occassional formed stool from time to time. It is quite a challenge trying to keep him clean (tail and legs). I am trying, but nothing seems to be helping him. He is boarded, but to my knowledge his hay and grain has not been changed. He is on 1 c sweet feed 2X daily and 4-6 flakes of very dry (straw looking) yellow hay a day. Is there any economical solution to this stool problem? Someone at the barn recommended Arsenicum 6-10 pellets 2X daily...that isn't terribly expensive, but is that the best option? He has had several stool samples to rule out an issues there. Thanks for you help...Hollie

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: Very loose stools

Hello Hollie,

Uncontrolled diarrhea can be very frustrating and certainly damaging to your horse's health. It can be due to a number of causes. I would first rule out any worm infestation by having his manure tested. Next, try changing his hay. You mentioned that it does not appear to be of high quality and could contain mold spores.

Switch to a fresh, high quality grass hay or a grass/alfalfa mix and be sure that he does not run out -- it should be supplied free choice or enough so he does not end up having nothing to graze on. His stomach releases acid continuously and if left with nothing to chew, the acid will travel down his entire digestive tract, leading to diarrhea, ulcers, and colic.

As a supplement, the first thing I would try is SUCCEED at a double dose for at least two months. It is somewhat expensive but very effective.

See how these changes work and if, after a month or so, you do not see any improvement, consider setting up a phone visit so I can spend an hour or more with you over the phone to assess the big picture and customize a plan for him.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

P.S. Arsenicum is a homeopathic remedy which may or may not be helpful. If you have been giving it to him for more than a month with no results, it is not likely to have an effect.

Hollie
Hi,
I am new to horse ownership and have owned my 14 year old Paint horse for 6 months (since Aug. 09). When we visited him at his old home he had brown stains down his legs...not knowing much about horses I thought he was just "dirty". After we brought him to the barn we board him at I soon found out he was not "dirty" but had very watery stools. When he goes water comes out first...then instead of round balls it is more of a pile (sometimes it is more formed, but more times it is a mushy pile)...this is followed by more watery stuff. I have talked with our vet from day one about this and he put him on a probiotic. At first we used an oral paste for a week and then a powdered form now. We have been using the powder probiotic for about 3 weeks now. It doesn't seem to be working. He is now experienceing more "pudding" like stools with on occassional formed stool from time to time. It is quite a challenge trying to keep him clean (tail and legs). I am trying, but nothing seems to be helping him. He is boarded, but to my knowledge his hay and grain has not been changed. He is on 1 c sweet feed 2X daily and 4-6 flakes of very dry (straw looking) yellow hay a day. Is there any economical solution to this stool problem? Someone at the barn recommended Arsenicum 6-10 pellets 2X daily...that isn't terribly expensive, but is that the best option? He has had several stool samples to rule out an issues there. Thanks for you help...Hollie

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty,
Thanks so much for getting back with me. I will look into the Succeed...what type of hay do you recommend?

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? web search

Hi Hollie,

In your area, you can likely find timothy or orchard grass hay. See if you can find a grass/alfalfa hay mix where it contains approximately a third alfalfa, or add some alfalfa to his total hay ration.

Remember to use a double dose of SUCCEED for two months.

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Hollie
Dr. Getty,
Thanks so much for getting back with me. I will look into the Succeed...what type of hay do you recommend?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO