Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
need alternative to current product

I have been feeding my elderly horse Platform Senior Equine for years, until recently Tractor Supply discontinued it. I tried ordering it from other stores but it has become a great hassle. Tried Purina Senior Equine but it seems very different from the Platform (Farnam). It is very sticky (? molassas) and we use an automatic feeder and the feed is not going through the chute. I need to find a good, non sticky alternative to the Platform, any suggestions. DF

Where are you from? Tx.

Re: need alternative to current product

Greetings Dianne,

Thank you for your patience. I like two Senior Feeds: Triple Crown Senior, and ADM Alliance Senior Glo. Are you able to obtain either one of these?

If not, let me know what brands you have and I can help you make a choice.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)

Dianne Futrell
I have been feeding my elderly horse Platform Senior Equine for years, until recently Tractor Supply discontinued it. I tried ordering it from other stores but it has become a great hassle. Tried Purina Senior Equine but it seems very different from the Platform (Farnam). It is very sticky (? molassas) and we use an automatic feeder and the feed is not going through the chute. I need to find a good, non sticky alternative to the Platform, any suggestions. DF

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Well, I was running out of feed , so I tried Dumor senior feed, not sure what I'll do. I hate to change him again but I'll check my local stores and see what they have. Not completely happy with Dumor, seems a little "sticky' (molassas), but my horse is eating it, thanks, DF

Hi Dianne,

If you have the feed tag or the website for Dumor, I'll be happy to take a look at it. But switching to a worthwhile feed is a better route in the long run, so see what you can find and keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

D. Futrell
Well, I was running out of feed , so I tried Dumor senior feed, not sure what I'll do. I hate to change him again but I'll check my local stores and see what they have. Not completely happy with Dumor, seems a little "sticky' (molassas), but my horse is eating it, thanks, DF

thanks, I'll try to get one, D

Good -- let me know if I can assist you further.

D. Futrell
thanks, I'll try to get one, D