Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dry skin and diet question

Hi Meghan,

I'm delighted to help. Yes, please keep me posted.

The key in keeping a horse's digestive system and weight healthy is to feed enough hay so he doesn't run out. So, the only way to know this is for there to be some hay left over in the morning. If he has all he wants, after a few days, he will self-regulate his intake and eat only what he needs.

Keep up the fine work,

Dr. Getty

Meghan
Hi Dr. Getty
Thank you so much for your response! I have ordered the glanzen complete and I will add alfalfa to his feeding. I have come to the conclusion that I will buy my own extra hay for Nova so I go up and bring him in several times between breakfast and dinner and give him hay to keep his belly full. I also am giving him extra hay in the evening so he always has something to munch on overnight. Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I will keep you posted on how he is doing.
Meghan

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO