Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Daily wormer or paste wormer?

Greetings 10 Walker,

A daily wormer (pyrantel tartrate) provides a low dosage of anthelmintic medication and therefore, gently keeps your horse free of worms. Paste wormers give your horse a periodic "jolt" and removes worms for a while. But they return, so by the time another worming is needed, the infestation level is quite high.

Having said that, even horses on a daily wormer still need protection against bots and tapeworms. Even horses that do not travel are vulnerable. So, twice a year, give your horse an ivermectin/praziquantel combo paste -- generally late spring, after the last frost, and late fall, before the first frost.

There is much discussion about developing resistance to anthelmintic drugs. Therefore, to be safe, it is best to have a manure sample tested every few months. Keep in mind that this test will not predict tapeworm infestation, so praziquantel is necessary to insure protection.

Thanks for writing about this very important topic.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

10 walker
My horses are currently on Preventicare plan through pfizer, which is annual shots, dental, exam and colic insurance along with strongid daily wormer. My horses are not exposed to many other horses at home or on the trail. Do you think the daily wormer is safe? What worming protocol do you prefer? thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Where do horse worms come from, especially if a horse is on daily wormer. Are horses more prone to worms than other animals? Thanks, again...

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? it's one of my favorites

Hi 10Walker,

This is a very broad topic, indeed (perhaps the subject of my next book?!). Worms can come from the ground, the manure, feed, and ingestion of larvae from insects (such as the botfly, which a daily wormer will not cover). The more a horse is exposed to strange environments and other horses, the more likely he will be exposed to worms. However, they exist everywhere and protection is important for all horses, even if they never leave your property.

Some horse owners choose to have a manure sample tested every two or three months and this is worthwhile to do, even if your horse is on a daily wormer. However, a tapeworm infestation will not show up in a manure test and the only way to protect your horse is to administer praziquantel (or a larger dose of pyrantel pamoate) at least once each year.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

10walker
Where do horse worms come from, especially if a horse is on daily wormer. Are horses more prone to worms than other animals? Thanks, again...

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO