Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
persistent hives

Hello --

I bought a 5-year-old Morgan the end of October. He was fine the first 6 weeks I had him, but since mid-December has been plagued by hives, ranging from pinprick to pancake size. They respond to dexamethasone, but I hate to treat him with that longterm. We have him on doxeprin and hydroxyzine, which help but do not knock them out completely.

He eats grass hay and oats, and is turned out on pasture daily. We've changed his bedding to straw (other horses in the barn are on shavings). I started him two weeks ago on Nutra-Flax, hoping it would help. How long before I might see a result from feeding flax? Any other ideas as to what might help? Both his previous owners say he never had any trouble.

Where are you from? Portland, OR

How did you locate this forum? ordered nutra-flax online

Re: persistent hives

Hello Karen,

Hives are an indication of an overactive immune system usually in response to a feed, hay, or environmental allergen. They can also be caused by stress due to such factors as going for hours without anything to graze on, ulcers, pain, isolation, loss of buddy, training and performance, traveling, etc.

In my new book, Feed Your Horse Like A Horse, I provide a section I call, "Dr. Getty's Fighting Formula" where I outline specific nutrients designed to protect and calm the immune system. Every horse is different and while many do not respond to stressors in the same way, there are horses that exhibit reactions in the skin (hives), respiratory system, and digestion.

There are many nutrients listed, but two of the most important are vitamin C and Spirulina (as well as the omega 3s you're currently giving him).

He needs 20 mg of vitamin C per pound of body weight. For an 1100 lb horse, this translates into 22,000 mg of vitamin C per day. This can be provided by 2 rounded scoops of Pure C.

Spirulina is a blue-green algae which has remarkable benefits for allergies. He needs 2,000 mg per 100 lbs of body weight per day. For 1100 lbs, that translates into 22,000 mg of spirulina, which can be provided by giving him 11 Spirulina Wafers per day.

Omega 3 fatty acids are also critical and Nutra Flax is ideal. Be sure you are giving him 1 full scoop per 400 lbs of body weight. Most full-sized horses do well with 3 scoops per day. It takes several months for you to see complete results, though some horses respond more quickly.

This will get you started. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Karen
Hello --

I bought a 5-year-old Morgan the end of October. He was fine the first 6 weeks I had him, but since mid-December has been plagued by hives, ranging from pinprick to pancake size. They respond to dexamethasone, but I hate to treat him with that longterm. We have him on doxeprin and hydroxyzine, which help but do not knock them out completely.

He eats grass hay and oats, and is turned out on pasture daily. We've changed his bedding to straw (other horses in the barn are on shavings). I started him two weeks ago on Nutra-Flax, hoping it would help. How long before I might see a result from feeding flax? Any other ideas as to what might help? Both his previous owners say he never had any trouble.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO