Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quitt for wood chewing

Hi Kathy,

I believe the Quitt is helping because it is providing some of the vitamins that he is not getting from his hay. When fresh grass is cut and dried, it loses many valuable nutrients such as vitmain E, Vitamin A (as beta carotene), vitamin D, and vitamin C, as well as omega 3 fatty acids.

Glanzen 3 is fine for horses that receive fresh pasture. But this time of year, especially, when hay is the only forage available, it is better to choose Glanzen Complete. This supplement fills in the nutritional gaps that he is experiencing.

Chewing can be due to a nutritional deficiency. It is also done in order to produce saliva -- a natural antacid. And since his stomach is producing acid continuously, his natural instinct is to chew in order to neutralize the acid. So while you're on trails, perhaps you can make more frequent grazing stops to reduce his stomach discomfort (from the acid on an empty stomach) and also prevent any problems such as an ulcer or colic.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty [:]

Kathy
My gelding is very mouthy at the hitching post or walking by a tree, he'll tear off some bark. He also chews on boards. He is in a large paddock with my mare. I trail ride at least 5 days/week. He has continous quality hay, and Glanzen 3 daily. He has many IR symptoms, so I plan to start Quiessence. My question is on why Quitt works (must fill a nutritional need)he stopped chewing everything completely by day 3 of Quitt. It has iron, which is not good for horses, but the product is working like a miracle. What do you think about this product,and/or what do you reccommend. Thanks, Kathy

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO