Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quiessence

Greetings April,

The Quiessence dosage for an insulin resistant horse or where there are fat deposits (e.g., cresty neck) is 1 scoop per 250 lbs of body weight per day. So it sounds like that's what you're doing by giving Cinnamon 2 scoops, twice daily. If your mini weighs 500 lbs, then 1 scoop, twice daily, would be the correct amount. If he's less than that weight, adjust the Quiessence dosage.

About the dry area above the coronary band -- I'm not clear what that is -- it sounds like it could be a skin problem or the result of a previous injury. If you believe it is skin related and there is no infection, give him flaxseed meal in the form on Nutra Flax. All horses benefit from their omega 3 fatty acids in a number of ways, including skin and hair health, insulin balance (for insulin resistant horses), joint and muscle inflammation, and immune function. The best dosage is 1 scoop per 400 lbs of body weight.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

April
Dr. Getty,
OK, Now that I have the Quiessence, I have been giving Cinnamon (the problem child) two cups of soaked alfalfa cubes with 2 scoops of Quiessence. Little Bit my mini a cup alfalfa and 1 scoop Q. Does this sound appropriate for both of them? They get these portions twice a day plus non-stop hay. I have noticed my Morgan does have a dry area about 1/2 an inch below the coronet, and she had it last year too around this time, early February northern Michigan. Is there any reason to be concerned? She has never had any lameness that I am aware of. This is my second year with her. Thanks again for all the wonderful information, you are truly a blessing to the equine world!! April & the girls

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO