Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Another weight question!

Hello Lisa,

Thank you for writing about your horse. The best way I can help you would be to spend some more time with you going over his entire situation. The fact that he leaves hay over, even when he only gets a small amount, is a concern and it may not be a need for extra calories that's driving his inability to gain weight.

In the meantime, the first approach would definitely be to examine the hind gut bacteria. I recommend two products to help boost their overall health, since these microbes are responsible for deriving calories from his forage.

The first is Ration Plus. This prebiotic contains fermentation products that will feed the existing bacteria, making their numbers more plentiful and therefore allowing for better forage digestion.

In addition, he can benefit from additional yeast. Live Cell Yeast 20X is an excellent and easy way to add this vital micro-organism.

Oil is fine, when added slowly. Rather than corn oil (which promotes inflammation and I do not like using it in any horse, let alone one that is exercising), go with Canola oil. It contains some omega 3 fatty acids and is not overly high in omega 6s (which promote inflammation). To add more omega 3s (which are very important for his overall health), consider adding Nutra Flax to his diet. Give him 1 scoop per 400 lbs of body weight. This will not only add fat, but will keep his immune system, hormonal balance, joints, muscles, hooves, hair, and skin in top shape. You can use Nutra Flax instead of Canola oil.

Start here and let me know how he does. If after a month, he does not improve his hay appetite and his condition, please consider setting up an appointment.

Oh, and one more thing... examine his hay. Make sure it is not overly stemmy or yellowed. It should smell fresh, and fall apart easily between your fingers. Add some alfalfa hay to his mix, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Lisa
Hi Dr. Getty,

I've learned a lot reading through the questions and your answers here and have come up with a plan to help my 6 yo half-arabian/national show horse put on some weight...I hope I'm on the right track!

His mom and full brother are hard-keepers, too, so it seems to run in the family. He is my daughter's show horse and gets worked 1-3x/week depending on the weather. He's in the barn during our big Texas rains, but otherwise spends his days in the pasture with our other 2 geldings.His teeth have been checked and he is de-wormed every other month. I plan to have a fecal sample checked this week.

He has been on 4 lbs of oats with FatCat suppliment mixed w/a cup of sweet feed twice a day and 24/7 good quality grass hay, but is definitely too thin. He is not a big eater and even with just one flake for the night, he has some left in the am. I'm thinking of switching him to Ultium or Strategy and then, if necessary, adding beet pulp or corn oil. Would you recommend anything different?

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much for your help- I have just ordered the Ration Plus and Live Yeast.

Just to clarify- Would you recommend adding these two to the oats we are currently feeding, or should we go ahead and switch over to a feed such as Ultium, plus the Ration Plus and Live Yeast?

Thanks!!
Lisa

Where are you from? Dallas

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your patience. Actually, Purina Ultium would be a better choice since it is higher in fat than oats, contains several forage sources, and is fortified with valuable nutrients.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Lisa
Thank you so much for your help- I have just ordered the Ration Plus and Live Yeast.

Just to clarify- Would you recommend adding these two to the oats we are currently feeding, or should we go ahead and switch over to a feed such as Ultium, plus the Ration Plus and Live Yeast?

Thanks!!
Lisa

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO