Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding

For a while I was feeding my own mixture of Alfalfa pellets, beetpulp, and a multivitamin. They were looking good on it. The alfalfa co. recently changed the way they cut their pellets and now they are really thick, and extremely dusty. I dont like to feed them. I recently purchased a TB mare from the track that has partial paralized throat. She seems to have trouble with the alfalfa pellets. I decided to switch all my horses to Safechoice and beetpulp mixture. I do have a pregnant mare too that is on this. I was looking into Empower as a feed for my TB since she is losing weight on the safechoice. How does this Nutrena Empower compare to Ultium? I know she needs her teeth floated which is being done next week. Thanks!!

Where are you from? PA

Re: Feeding

Hello Sherry,

Most retired race horses have ulcers, which will definitely contribute to weight loss. Rather than go through the expensive and stressful test (endoscopy) to confirm an ulcer, you can simply offer a diet that will help her heal.

Two things are important: continuous supply of forage so the stomach is never completely empty (since acid is secreted constantly), and a diet low in starch (because starch increases acid production). I took a look at Empower's website and the ingredients are not listed, so I'm not able to give you my opinion. If it contains oats, or any other cereal grain (e.g., corn, barley, wheat, etc.) then I do not recommend it. Safe Choice also contains some grain but not very much. Ultium is a worthwhile choice, high in fat, and relatively low in non-structural carbohydrates compared to cereal grain-based feeds.

Alfalfa is an excellent buffer and it useful in treating and even preventing ulcers. If you can soak them in warm water so they become more of a mush, you could add them to Ultium.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sherry
For a while I was feeding my own mixture of Alfalfa pellets, beetpulp, and a multivitamin. They were looking good on it. The alfalfa co. recently changed the way they cut their pellets and now they are really thick, and extremely dusty. I dont like to feed them. I recently purchased a TB mare from the track that has partial paralized throat. She seems to have trouble with the alfalfa pellets. I decided to switch all my horses to Safechoice and beetpulp mixture. I do have a pregnant mare too that is on this. I was looking into Empower as a feed for my TB since she is losing weight on the safechoice. How does this Nutrena Empower compare to Ultium? I know she needs her teeth floated which is being done next week. Thanks!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO