Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
performance horse with possible hindgut issue

Hello! I am looking for feed advice for my 10yo TB jumper. This winter he has grown increasingly hot/nervous to the point where he would spray poo (fun!) and stretch in cross ties. I had him scoped, no ulcer. Had bloodwork done...he had slightly high glucose levels, low calcium (9.7 out of 10.8-13.5mg/dl range) and slightly low wbc and rbc. Urine test was also clear. He gets pennfields fibergized along with cosequin asu and omega horseshine (flax based supplement) and grass hay. I was thinking about adding alfalfa to his diet...do you think this is a good idea? I am concerned about the amount of calcium he is getting...is it enough to bother with a supplement? I am trying gastroguard for two weeks to see if it helps the possible hindgut issue, but it may be that this unusually cold winter has simply made my horse hot and it is not a clinical issue. I need a diet that will keep his weight up but not contribute to his high strung nature.

Anything you can add would be a help!

Thanks!!

Where are you from? virginia

How did you locate this forum? google search engine

Re: performance horse with possible hindgut issue

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, alfalfa is a good idea -- about 30% of his hay ration. But, in addition, check his feed -- if it contains cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, etc.), it could be contributing to his behavior, and more likely, irritating his digestive tract since starch from grain increases acid production. Omega Horseshine is made with oats, so I recommend switching to Nutra Flax.

Be sure he does not run out of forage -- an empty stomach is the main reason for "hot" behavior because it is physically and mentally stressful.

And lastly, give him Daily Start -- this probiotic will boost the hindgut microbial numbers and also boost his immune function by its oligosaccharide content.

Give these things a try and keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Jennifer Colson
Hello! I am looking for feed advice for my 10yo TB jumper. This winter he has grown increasingly hot/nervous to the point where he would spray poo (fun!) and stretch in cross ties. I had him scoped, no ulcer. Had bloodwork done...he had slightly high glucose levels, low calcium (9.7 out of 10.8-13.5mg/dl range) and slightly low wbc and rbc. Urine test was also clear. He gets pennfields fibergized along with cosequin asu and omega horseshine (flax based supplement) and grass hay. I was thinking about adding alfalfa to his diet...do you think this is a good idea? I am concerned about the amount of calcium he is getting...is it enough to bother with a supplement? I am trying gastroguard for two weeks to see if it helps the possible hindgut issue, but it may be that this unusually cold winter has simply made my horse hot and it is not a clinical issue. I need a diet that will keep his weight up but not contribute to his high strung nature.

Anything you can add would be a help!

Thanks!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO