Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How much salt?

Hello Kathy,

Glanzen Lite Complete does not have added salt. It does, however, have iodine, so you do not need added iodine in your salt block or added table salt.

A full-sized horse (approximately 1100 lbs) requires at least one ounce of plain, white salt per day. That's equivalent to 2 level Tablespooons. A white salt block is necessary and you mentioned that you add salt to your horse's meals. That's fine -- go with 1 Tablespoon per meal, twice daily. And watch his salt block consumption. During the warmer months, or when he is exercising, he'll need more than one ounce per day, but adding much more to his meals will make them unpalatable.

To meet electrolyte losses that are lost during sweating, an electrolyte preparation is a good idea. But this is in addition to salt. Electrolytes only replace sweat losses, so a horse must be in good sodium balance before exercise and should therefore, consistently receive salt in addition to supplemental electrolytes.

I know you didn't specifically ask about electrolytes, but spring is here and many horses are getting slowly back to work. So, I thought I'd mention this additional need, as well as address your salt question.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Kathy
My horses are on Glanzen Lite Complete. Do they need additional salt mixed in? I add salt to make sure they drink enough. They also have white salt blocks. Thanks in advance.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for the easy to follow advice on salt needed for my horse. How and when do I give electroylytes? Do you recommend a certain brand? Thanks again.

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? search

Hi Kathy,

Electrolytes are designed to replace what has been lost through perspiration. However, the horse must be in good sodium balance prior to their use. So, plain, white salt, in the form of a salt block or adding table salt to each meal, is important.

If your horse is sweating due to exercise or due to seasonal heat, adding an electrolyte preparation according to directions, is best. Electrolytes can be added to one gallon of water, but fresh, clean water should always be available. Electrolytes should never be added to a normal water supply.

Most supplements contain a large amount of sugar, so I would avoid those. Quench by Horsetech is excellent.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Kathy
Thanks for the easy to follow advice on salt needed for my horse. How and when do I give electroylytes? Do you recommend a certain brand? Thanks again.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO