Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: older finicky mare

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for writing. Your mare has several issues that she is dealing with and for the most part, you are doing what you can. I'd like to help you further, but I'm not sure if your concern is that she is not eating enough and therefore, losing weight. Or, if she is eating enough but is simply not feeling well. Or anything in between.

So, the best way I can assist you would be to visit more about her and spend time going over her entire history, what her daily life is like, and the best way to improve her overall quality of life. A personal phone visit is the way to go for her. Please consider this -- for example... Equine Senior is much too high in sugar for her ulcer to heal. Secondly, at her age, she needs vitamin C since she is no longer producing enough. These and other issues relating to aging horses, in general, and your mare who has enduring serious physiological disorders, should be addressed, one by one.

Looking forward to helping you further,

Dr. Getty

sharon schwab
Hello, We have a 27 year old mare, who is a terrible eater, right now she gets 3qrts purina senior 4 times a day, NO hay, and the reason is she has megaesophogus, which is not common in horses, but lucky her she has it, Her grain is in mash form (very very wet), and I'm pretty sure she is sick of wet grain, because if i offer her a little dry she gobbles it up, but because she is so prone to choke, i get worried about feeding her anything dry. Some more info that you may need to know, is she has had colic surgery twice. The first time she was 22, and had a lipoma removed, the second time she was 25 and had enterior interitis, which is usually treated medically, but she also had an innersuseption (I'm sure I'm not spelling everything correct but hopefully you get the jist), that they had to correct, but the one brigt spot in all of this is they never had to resect any intenstine, and she survived it all. Dolly is very special to my daughters and I, and any feeding suggestion would be very welcome. She has her teeth done regularly, has a white salt block all the time, tried neigh-lox with no luck. treated her for ulcers, My vet and I have tried everything, and pretty sure have covered all are bases, so any advise would be appreciated

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I will consider doing a phone call, but would you be able to give me a replacement feed example for purina senior, I have done a phone call with you before she coliced the first time, so like i said have put a lot of money into this mare, and would do anything i have to do to keep her going, and will get back to you on the phone call (schedule issues)

Where are you from? connecticut

Hi Sharon,

Of course -- a good senior feed that is low in starch is made by Triple Crown. ADM Alliance Senior Glo is also excellent. Another one that recently came out is Dynasty Secure by Kent Feeds.

Not sure which horse we discussed -- looking at my record, we talked about three horses back on October of 2005. So it has been a while and I'm sorry that you've gone through so much with your gal.

Looking forward to helping you further,

Dr. Getty

sharon schwab
I will consider doing a phone call, but would you be able to give me a replacement feed example for purina senior, I have done a phone call with you before she coliced the first time, so like i said have put a lot of money into this mare, and would do anything i have to do to keep her going, and will get back to you on the phone call (schedule issues)

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO