Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My maiden mare foaled a beautiful colt

Greetings Sherry,

Congratulations!

You did a fabulous job feeding your mare. Regarding your foal, allow him to have access to alfalfa -- about 30% of his hay ration. And Mare/Foal IIP is a good idea (which you can also give to your mare) along with some Nutra Flax for omega 3 fatty acids.

I would not give your foal any cereal grains. As I explain in detail in Chapter 19 on growth, in my book, Feed Your Horse Like A Horse, starchy diets have been implicated in the development of osteopathic disorders in growing horses. This is especially true for large breeds. Instead, go with a low starch Junior Feed (Triple Crown and ADM Alliance make them) or you can simply feed moistened beet pulp and the Mare/Foal IIP plus flax (Nutra Flax).

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sherry
My mare foaled on March 23. Let the fun begin!! Throughout most of my mares pregnancy she was fed alfalfa pellets, pre ox, flaxseed, and beet pulp, along with free choice grass hay and 2 flakes of alfalfa hay per day. She was also given white salt. I switched her over to safechoice to replace the alfalfa pellets, because they started getting really dusty. My vet said she looks beautiful for having a foal. She is extremely shinny and in excellent weight. I was just wondering what the best diet would be for the foal. He is a Hanoverian cross, so he will be a big boy. If I would go with the mare/foal II would I be able to replace the preox with that and give it to the mare also? I would like to have my feed ideas prepared before he is ready to start eating grain. I do feed all my horses moistened beet pulp. Thanks!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO