Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Smart Control IR by Smartpak

Hi Erika,

I took a look at it and it has some very nice herbs, amino acids, and gynemia sylvestri (which lowers blood insulin levels). However, one dose only has 4,440 mg of magnesium and for a 1000 lb, insulin resistant horse, four times as much is necessary. But, that could end up providing more vitamin E than you would want (650 IU per dose) along with minerals such as copper and zinc (which could interfere with iron absorption). As a maintenance product for a horse that is genetically prone toward insulin resistance, but does not exhibit regional fat deposits (such as a cresty neck), this Smart Pak product is excellent. But it is not adequate for treatment purposes.

Another choice that is safer to feed at higher dosages, is CarbX (by Med Vet Pharmaceuticals) -- click on the link to learn about it. It also contains Gymnema sylvestri without the added minerals.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Erika
Dr. Getty,
Thank you for your earlier reply regarding chromium supplement.

I have a friend who has had good results w/Smart Control IR from smartpak for her IR horse and would like to know your thoughts on this product.

Thank you.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty,
Thank you so very much for all of your helpful information.
Erika

Where are you from? Indiana

How did you locate this forum? your Book

Hi Erika,

Glad to help.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Erika
Dr. Getty,
Thank you so very much for all of your helpful information.
Erika

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO