Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding performance horse

Hi Dr Getty,

I'd like to know how I can improve on my horse's feeding. He is a 15yr old Grand Prix dressage horse, who is very sensitive and quite spooky on the ground and when riding. He can get himself worked up very easily, especially when the work gets more challenging, and I wouldn't be surprised if he tends towards ulcers. He has as much Timothy hay as he wants, gets 6 ounces of oats (2 ounces 3 x/day), 2 ounces of flaxseed oil, a vitamin/mineral supplement especially formulated for feeding oats (called 'Just Add Oats'), 1000mg of vitabin B1 (I was told this might help him be a little less nervous), and has access to a salt lick. It's quite difficult keeping weight on him.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Where are you from? Wellington, FL

How did you locate this forum? Through online search

Re: Feeding performance horse

Greetings Neve,

I believe you just obtained Glanzen Complete, which will fill in all the nutritional gaps that exist with a hay-only diet. This is flaxseed meal based, so you will not need to continue feeding flaxseed oil.

I would definitely discontinue feeding oats since he may have an ulcer. Starch causes more acid production.

So, all the grass hay he wants plus give him some alfalfa. Alfalfa not only boosts the protein quality in his diet, giving him the amino acid building blocks he needs to repair and build healthy tissue, but it is also an excellent buffer and will help prevent and even cure an ulcer. Give him one flake of alfalfa for every two flakes of grass hay.

The Glanzen Complete will help his weight (give him the full dose -- three scoops per day), but also give him a prebiotic called Ration Plus. This will feed the microbial population in his hindgut, making forage digestion more efficient. The result will be more calories derived from hay, and hence, weight gain.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Neve
Hi Dr Getty,

I'd like to know how I can improve on my horse's feeding. He is a 15yr old Grand Prix dressage horse, who is very sensitive and quite spooky on the ground and when riding. He can get himself worked up very easily, especially when the work gets more challenging, and I wouldn't be surprised if he tends towards ulcers. He has as much Timothy hay as he wants, gets 6 ounces of oats (2 ounces 3 x/day), 2 ounces of flaxseed oil, a vitamin/mineral supplement especially formulated for feeding oats (called 'Just Add Oats'), 1000mg of vitabin B1 (I was told this might help him be a little less nervous), and has access to a salt lick. It's quite difficult keeping weight on him.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO