Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Garlic supplements for bug control

Hi Dr. Getty
Nova is doing great on the Glanzen Complete...his dandruff is clearing up nicely. I had a quick question, I am pregnant during this years bug season so I don't want to spray Nova with anything for bugs not even the natural stuff that I normally use. So I was wondering what you thought about springtime bug off garlic or cheval international inside out. Both claim to not cause anemia in horses, but I was curious what you thought. We have lots of ticks in this area as well as deer flies so I want to keep him as comfortable as possible. Thank you for your time.
Meghan
PS would there be any interaction between either of these and the glanzen complete?

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: Garlic supplements for bug control

Hi Meghan,

Congratulations!!!

I'm delighted that the Glanzen Complete is helping his skin -- that's a sign that the inside of his body is doing well, since an unhealthy skin indicates that the internal organs may be suffering nutritionally.

Yes, you can use these insect repellent preparations with Glanzen Complete. But, the active ingredient in garlic, known as allicin, is what causes Heinz Body Anemia and also is what repels insects. So, the garlic needs to be dried or heated to inactivate the allicin. That helps with the anemia risk but may not leave much insect repellent protection.

These bug repellents require more research. So, my suggestion would be to use fly predators instead and add apple cider vinegar to your horse's drinking water -- 1 cup per 10 gallons works nicely. Also give your horse some additional vitamin B1 -- Thiamin, which seems to also lessen the attraction to insects.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Meghan
Hi Dr. Getty
Nova is doing great on the Glanzen Complete...his dandruff is clearing up nicely. I had a quick question, I am pregnant during this years bug season so I don't want to spray Nova with anything for bugs not even the natural stuff that I normally use. So I was wondering what you thought about springtime bug off garlic or cheval international inside out. Both claim to not cause anemia in horses, but I was curious what you thought. We have lots of ticks in this area as well as deer flies so I want to keep him as comfortable as possible. Thank you for your time.
Meghan
PS would there be any interaction between either of these and the glanzen complete?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO