Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: epithisitis and cribbing

Thank you Dr Getty,i havent started my colt on any supplements yet because i wasnt sure what to give him,like i said he is on orchard grass and a sm amount of alfalfa,i have had his hay tested and the calcium is at .29 as fed and 2.6DM, the phosphorus is at .16 as fed and .17DM.The esc is 8.5 and starch is 2.4.magnesium is .20 as fed.Iam not sure what else you would need to help me with picking the rite minerals and vitamins for him , i will feed him all the orchard grass he wants to help him with his cribbing,i dnt know how to get him the calcium,copper and sulfur he needs do you now of a good supplement i can get maybe from the feed stores that has this in it,also a probiotic with magnesium in it,do u know if the brand probio has any with magnesium in it.I listened to your 70 min lecture on line on how to feed a horse and thought it was great,i want to do whats best for my equine family,thank you so much for your time.

Where are you from? calif

Dr Getty, i found on my hay analysis that the WSC is 10.5 as fed and 11.5 DM which of these do i go by,also the starch is 2.4 as fed and 2.6 DM.I see that they are both just slightly over 12%,is this ok for me to still free feed?Thanks again.

Where are you from? calif

Hi Judy,

Yes, this hay is fine at 12.9% NSC. Your calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium are in the proper proportion. But, more magnesium is needed. I suggest Quiessence -- 1 scoop per 500 lbs of body weight.

A comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement is worth considering. The one I like best in your situation is Glanzen Complete. This can be fed in addition to Quiessence since Quiessence provides magnesium that is not found in the Glanzen supplement. It is a custom product made by Horsetech, so it won't be in your feedstores, but shipping is free. Horsetech also makes a nice supplement that may be in your feedstore (and soon to be on my website) called High Point.

I'm glad you enjoyed the recorded TeleClass. For folks who are not familiar with this, I have a few live recorded events available for free on my website -- go to www.GettyEquineNutrition.com and click on Listen to Dr. Getty.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

judy
Dr Getty, i found on my hay analysis that the WSC is 10.5 as fed and 11.5 DM which of these do i go by,also the starch is 2.4 as fed and 2.6 DM.I see that they are both just slightly over 12%,is this ok for me to still free feed?Thanks again.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO