Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Confused about testing for IR

Thanks again Dr. Getty. I think I would like to do the phone consult. when I get my new hay and have the results from the test, then perhaps we could talk about a custom vit/min mix to compliment my hay (as well as everything else). I'm hoping to have hay by the 2nd or 3rd week in June.

She said ulcers could be a possibility, despite him not quite fitting the bill of the typical horse with ulcers. She mentioned it could also be a tumor or slow transit time. Speaking of which, he has had 2 melanomas removed before the age of 8. One was removed before I bought him and another vet I was using removed the 2nd (that one grew very quickly out of the blue and then ruptured and was oozing black goo, so the vet wanted to remove it). He has several small melanomas on his body, but a couple are not in the typical places they are found on most horses, such as one on his hock and one on his flank. Yep, he's a gray. But he's quite young for melamonas, he'll be turning 10 this month.

Thanks again and I'll be in touch!

Where are you from? WI

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Confused about testing for IR

Greetings Heather,

I'll look forward to visiting with you. I'll be out of town from June 10 - 16th. So just let me know and we'll find a convenient time for both of us.

It's difficult to prevent melanomas. We'll talk about that, as well.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Heather
Thanks again Dr. Getty. I think I would like to do the phone consult. when I get my new hay and have the results from the test, then perhaps we could talk about a custom vit/min mix to compliment my hay (as well as everything else). I'm hoping to have hay by the 2nd or 3rd week in June.

She said ulcers could be a possibility, despite him not quite fitting the bill of the typical horse with ulcers. She mentioned it could also be a tumor or slow transit time. Speaking of which, he has had 2 melanomas removed before the age of 8. One was removed before I bought him and another vet I was using removed the 2nd (that one grew very quickly out of the blue and then ruptured and was oozing black goo, so the vet wanted to remove it). He has several small melanomas on his body, but a couple are not in the typical places they are found on most horses, such as one on his hock and one on his flank. Yep, he's a gray. But he's quite young for melamonas, he'll be turning 10 this month.

Thanks again and I'll be in touch!

Where are you from? Bayfield

How did you locate this forum? CO