Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Switch grain

Hi Dr. Getty
I wrote a while back about my four year old draft cross Nova. He was on 6lbs of Triple Crown LS and you suggested I put him on glanzen complete to take care of the vit. he was missing. So my question is my vet said 6lbs of grain was to much for him especially because he is not in work while I am pregnant. So he is currently on 4lbs triple crown LS the bag suggest not feeding less then 6lbs, so I was thinking of switching him to the Triple Crown Lite for his vit and mineral needs. He is holding his weight extremely wellhe gets lots of hay now and on pasture 12+ hours a day. Would this work for a growing 4 year old draft cross and would he still need to be on glanzen complete. Thank you so much for your time and all your help.
Meghan

Where are you from? Western MA

How did you locate this forum? posted before

Re: Switch grain

Hi Meghan,

The TC Lite is lower in fat and you can feed less of it than the TC Low Starch, so I think it is a good choice. You really do not need to feed Glanzen Complete with the full, recommended amount of TC Lite. However, if you need more hoof support, consider, instead, BioFlax20. This will also provide flaxseed meal, to offer essential omega 3 fatty acids.

If your horse is grazing on fresh pasture, then he is getting omega 3s, but if not, you might consider adding some Nutra Flax. Even though this is high in fat, it is the right kind of fat, as opposed to soybean oil that's added to commercial feeds (which is high in omega 6s).

Glanzen Complete is flaxseed meal based, but he will not need the additional vitamins and minerals while on a commercially fortified feed at recommended amounts.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Meghan
Hi Dr. Getty
I wrote a while back about my four year old draft cross Nova. He was on 6lbs of Triple Crown LS and you suggested I put him on glanzen complete to take care of the vit. he was missing. So my question is my vet said 6lbs of grain was to much for him especially because he is not in work while I am pregnant. So he is currently on 4lbs triple crown LS the bag suggest not feeding less then 6lbs, so I was thinking of switching him to the Triple Crown Lite for his vit and mineral needs. He is holding his weight extremely wellhe gets lots of hay now and on pasture 12+ hours a day. Would this work for a growing 4 year old draft cross and would he still need to be on glanzen complete. Thank you so much for your time and all your help.
Meghan

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Gettyy,
Thank you for your response. So I was reading your forage for thought email and it got me thinking....Nova is on a very large grass pasture 12+hrs a day, I am really wanting to eliminate grain from his diet so the beet pulp/ alfalfa pellets mix really caught my attention. Would this work for a growing 4 year old 1300lb draft cross? He is sensitive to high sugar feeds so would I feed the plain beet pulp? Would I up the amount of glazen complete he gets (currantly he gets 2 1/2 scopes a day) and would he benifit from ration plus added to his diet? New hay is being cut right now and added to their feed, I finally convinced the barn owner (with the help of my vet) to feed Nova free choice hay at night, and he is on fresh green pasture.
Thank you for all your help and I LOVE the forage for thought articles!
Meghan

Where are you from? Western MA

How did you locate this forum? Been here many times

Hi Meghan,

I'm so pleased to hear that you're enjoying the new Forage for Thought newsletter. And I'm even more pleased to hear how you've changed your horses' feeding plans.

Yes, beet pulp is excellent for a draft cross since it does not produce the insulin response that cereal grains produce, while providing just as many calories as oats. The dosage on Glanzen Complete would be 3 scoops per day so you can increase it to this amount.

Ration Plus may or may not be necessary. It is a very helpful prebiotic for horses that are under stress (physical or mental), underweight, or easily agitated.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Meghan
Hi Dr. Gettyy,
Thank you for your response. So I was reading your forage for thought email and it got me thinking....Nova is on a very large grass pasture 12+hrs a day, I am really wanting to eliminate grain from his diet so the beet pulp/ alfalfa pellets mix really caught my attention. Would this work for a growing 4 year old 1300lb draft cross? He is sensitive to high sugar feeds so would I feed the plain beet pulp? Would I up the amount of glazen complete he gets (currantly he gets 2 1/2 scopes a day) and would he benifit from ration plus added to his diet? New hay is being cut right now and added to their feed, I finally convinced the barn owner (with the help of my vet) to feed Nova free choice hay at night, and he is on fresh green pasture.
Thank you for all your help and I LOVE the forage for thought articles!
Meghan

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO