Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Purina Ultium Growth

I just want to know what you think of the new Purina Ultium Growth? My TB mare off the track(6 months) is currently getting the regular Ultium with nutra flax, beet pulp and free choice grass hay and a flake of alfalfa. I originally had her on safechoice and I couldnt get her weight up. She is a big girl at 17 hands. My question is, is this the better choice ultium for her? I just bred her and she in confirmed in foal. She is starting to look really good. Her coat is excellent and she is putting the weight on nicely.
I currently have my 8 week old colt by another mare on beet pulp, Mare/foal II, and nutraflax, along with good hay and alfalfa. Would this be a good feed for him also or should i keep him on what he is on? Thank you very much!!

Where are you from? PA

Re: Purina Ultium Growth

Hello Sherry,

I took a look at this new product from Purina and for the most part, I like it. My only objection is that it contains corn. I am not in favor of feeding corn to horses, in general, because it is poorly digested in the foregut, and is more likely (than oats, for example) to end up in the hind gut where it can be fermented.

But, the corn is ground, making digestion easier. And if fed at a small amount, for several meals, it may be just as good as your current feeding plan. I cannot tell exactly how much omega 3 fatty acids are in this product (though it does contain flaxseed meal).

So, I suggest you go with what is more convenient and better for your wallet. Both plans are worthwhile.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Sherry
I just want to know what you think of the new Purina Ultium Growth? My TB mare off the track(6 months) is currently getting the regular Ultium with nutra flax, beet pulp and free choice grass hay and a flake of alfalfa. I originally had her on safechoice and I couldnt get her weight up. She is a big girl at 17 hands. My question is, is this the better choice ultium for her? I just bred her and she in confirmed in foal. She is starting to look really good. Her coat is excellent and she is putting the weight on nicely.
I currently have my 8 week old colt by another mare on beet pulp, Mare/foal II, and nutraflax, along with good hay and alfalfa. Would this be a good feed for him also or should i keep him on what he is on? Thank you very much!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO